Mind Control Exercises to Obtain Good Health Part 15

Mental Discipline: Right from now, begin to take note of the time you spent on anything you do daily in your life. If you are eating your meal, let your mind remain focused on what you are eating only. When you are in the bathroom, let your mind remain on washing your body only. This practice will assist you to gain the habit of concentration on what you need as a creative person. You must pay attention to all your menial tasks in the house or in the office; this will enable you to break away from those repetitive habits which make it impossible for you to concentrate on important matters.

Begin to pay attention to the following everyday activities:

(1) Focus your attention on whatever you are doing; when you are dressing up, when you are putting on your shoes, when you are shaving, when you are bathing, and when you are combing your hair etc.

If you are able to keep your mind focused on what you are doing, you will do the task more effectively and faster.

(2) Focus your attention on food when eating your meals. Do not read written or printed materials when you are eating, and let your thought remain on the act of eating your food.

Blood normally flows to where the action is, as your mind remains on your food, the blood that is flowing into your stomach will aid easy digestion.

(3) Focus your attention on your holidays or your day-off duty, drop all thoughts of business transactions, do not read any academic book that could task your brain, just enjoy your vacation to the limit. Learn how to relax your muscles, body and mind; this will prolong your life in the long run.

The important point you must remember in all these rules is to remain focused on one thing at a time only. Therefore, when you are dressing, do not allow your mind to dwell on what you are going to eat for breakfast or what you are going to do first when you get to the office. To keep your mind on your dressing, say these words: "I am dressing, and I must dress quickly". This will force your drifting mind back to what you are doing. This rule applies to anything you may be doing; just say the relevant words that may force your mind back to what you are doing.

You will be surprised to note how much time some people spent in their common daily activities listed above. A good method of knowing how much time one spends on each common activity is to look at the clock and time yourself before you begin any of your common works and the usual activities in the house.

Make sure to write down in your note book the time you commence any of your usual activity in the house, and begin to concentrate your attention on each activity daily. For example, take note of the time you enter the bathroom, and concentrate your mind only on bathing, and check the time you spent when you are out of the bathroom. Soon enough you will not be wasting precious time in the bathroom scrubbing the same spot repeatedly like before as your mind wanders away from what you are doing, and for beating the old time-wasting habits; your skills in concentration and attention exercises will improve greatly. Apply this same rule to any casual thing you do in the house or in your work-place.

Do not be in a hurry to beat your old time habits when doing anything in the house or office, always bear in mind that in concentration and attention exercises, there must be no strain or stress at all, no worry, no unnecessary haste; just apply confidence in your act of working on concentrating your mind on whatever you are doing. It is a known fact that during any concentration process, the state of your mind must be cool, calm and you must be in complete control of your consciousness.

If you feel nervous when you are about to do something, take a deep breath, breathe it out slowly through the nose, and say these words silently: "I must be cool and calm in the mind; and I will not push or force myself because I know I can do this thing calmly without any problem". In due course of time, you will discover that your approach to any matter will be characterized by the spirit of calmness, coolness, and whatever you do shall be done quickly and better than the way it was in the past.