Chapter 14

"Look for better jobs?" Uraraka softly asks when Izuku comes home crying for the umpteenth time that week.  

"I'm trying! But nobody wants to work with a boy who walks with a limp!" Izuku screams, dramatically throwing himself on Iida and hugging him.

Iida wasn't really used to physical touches, yet he awkwardly tries to help Izuku through his devastation.

"I'm sure that's not the reason, Midoriya. Just try for something that you like doing." Tsuyu adds, walking over to the living room as if this incident wasn't a newcomer, which was, in a way, true.

"Yeah, you're right. Because the reason is probably because the entire nation thinks I slept with one of the best and youngest volleyball player of the country!" Izuku whines again, sniffling.

"That's... Probably right." Todoroki muses from where he's seated, barely listening to the conversation as he was scrolling through his phone.

"Be serious!" Izuku yells, throwing a throw pillow at Todoroki, who sits up offended. Todoroki ends up throwing it back, aiming it right at Izuku's face.

"Stop fighting. Both of you. Listen Midoriya, what I meant was, maybe they just don't deserve you. Your colleagues, I mean. You can try to bear with it or resign until you get, but just keep trying, okay? Don't waste yourself in a company like yours." Iida intervenes and says, now holding the pillow which was about to hit Todoroki.

Before Izuku could give a counter statement, Iida walks away, taking the throw pillow with him. 

And three weeks later, Izuku still hasn't found a new job. 

He has searched everywhere (he's exaggerating) and couldn't find a single job (he's lying, he just didn't find a job he wanted).

Izuku was someone with high expectations, who wouldn't settle for anything less than what he wants.

If he wants something, he would go to any extent to achieve it. Even if it meant a few sacrifices came along.

"You don't seem to be well." Todoroki comments one day, walking past a sulking Izuku on the couch.

Izuku sighs and moves his laptop towards Todoroki.

"You're rejected?" Todoroki reads out carefully and then sighs. "Midoriya, let's find more, yes? Don't think about it. Besides, you didn't want this job. You thought you could go for a better one."

Todoroki tries to reason, but it only gets Izuku even more mad.

"I was rejected from a job, that I didn't even want? That's so much more worse, Todoroki. I have applied to at least 25 different institutions. I was rejected from 14 of them. I don't even know if the others will bother to reply." Izuku says, his voice softly breaking as if he's about to cry. But he doesn't.

"I know you applied to a lot of institutions, but... Did you apply to everything you are eligible for? I know, it may not be what you want. But just for the time being, you know?" Todoroki offers, walking towards to refrigerator to grab an ice cream tub that he knows Izuku needs.

"Jobs like what?" Izuku snaps, reaching forward to snatch the ice cream tub from Todoroki's hands, only to smile in triumph when Todoroki doesn't complain.

"A volleyball coach."

Izuku doesn't reply. He simply huffs in annoyance and glared at Todoroki. The truth is, Izuku wants to. His mother doesn't.

"Midoriya, I know that you saw the advertisement. It's still under your pillow, I noticed it while I was searching for my phone." Todoroki softly explains, kneeling down next to Izuku.

"Why were you snooping, Todoroki? That's none of your business and I-... it wasn't like I wanted to try! I just had it- under my bed." Izuku snaps, stuffing his mouth with ice cream.

A couple days ago, an advertisement came through the newspaper. Izuku had subscribed to it to find job opportunities and this advertisement was a complete coincidence!

They required an assistant coach in Tokyo. For the same team Katsuki was practicing under.

Honestly, the pay was good and Izuku's cousin lives in Tokyo, he wouldn't have any problems finding a place to stay.

But his mother would freak.

Izuku can't even imagine her reaction. After the accident, when Izuku's mother was loaded with bills, she had worked all day for 3 years or so to pay them. Simply the medical and physiotherapy bills.

And the thing was, she still works so hard to manage. Izuku's salary seems to be just about right for himself.

She never complained about Izuku not sending her money. He had no obligation to do so. However, she did express her hate towards volleyball.

Izuku had tried to play once. It was about a year after his surgery. His friends had convinced him to simply watch them play.

Then one thing led to another, and he was on the court in no time. Who would've expected his mother to come right then?

To put it in easier words, Izuku was banned from volleyball.

And if he took up this job now, for which he'll have to move. Again. Izuku doesn't even want to imagine her reaction.

"Todoroki. I can't." Izuku mumbles, looking down at his feet.

"But you want to."

Izuku sighs, shutting his eyes tightly. "Yes, I admit that. I do want to. But I can't." He sighs, looking up at Todoroki with a painful smile.

"Can we drop this topic, Todoroki?" He softly whispers, pulling himself together and walking away when Todoroki doesn't answer.

Izuku walks back to his room, only to fish out the advertisement from under his pillow. His grip on the paper hardens, almost crushing it.

But then, something changes.

Izuku tries to iron out the creases and stuffs it back into his drawer.

You need not be a professional to play, Izuku.

Katsuki's words ring in Izuku's head. Maybe he could give it a try, even if he needs to lie to his mother for that. 

It's just, the night when Izuku played, he felt like he found exactly what was missing in his life. All he needed was a volleyball and a net, he would be the happiest man on earth.

Volleyball was worth everything, after all.  

Author's note:
Guys check out my new book Serendipity if you haven't! It's actually Bakukami, but the dynamic is really fun and I think you'll like it!

A few updates have already been up, so do check it out!