Chapter 16

Izuku ends up applying. But before he could get a job, he is forced to out of the news channel.

"Midoriya... You punched your boss." Todoroki whispers in horror as Izuku comes home, drunk.

"He- that basta- oh shit I can't curse my boss. Wait- he isn't my boss anymore! Well, that bitch bastard motherfucker had it fucking coming." Izuku slurs, waving his resignation (it's actually termination) letter.

"You knocked him against the water dispenser." Iida continues with an unreadable expression.

"What- no I didn't! He fell on the water dispenser, it's his fault!" Izuku answers with a confused tilt of his head.

"Because you punched him!" Uraraka says, enunciating each word and waving her arms like Iida to make him understand.

"But like I said, he had it fucking coming!" Izuku answers, copying the same hand gestures.

"You gave him a concussion, Midoriya." Tsuyu adds, reading his termination letter and cringing at all the reasons listed.

"Well, deserved." Izuku mumbles, only to whine when Todoroki harshly hits the back of his head.

"You lost your fucking job, Midoriya. You have no way of income unless you get a job like right now, which we know isn't possible. You've been applying for weeks and no one called you back. Why would you take such a rash decision?" Todoroki snaps, slamming the termination paper on the table.

Izuku flinches at the loud noise, seeming to have cleared his head up a bit. And soon, a single tear runs down his face.

"You're crying. Great, fucking great!" Todoroki starts, only for Uraraka to shush him. "Don't stop me Uraraka, he's here because he's been babies by all of us. It has gotten so bad to the point he's fucking happy about losing his only source of income."

Izuku cries out loud, now standing up and pointing at Todoroki accusingly. "What makes you think I'm fucking happy? Did I- tell me, did I tell you that I'm happy?" Izuku's sobs make it difficult for him to talk.

"You sure act like it though! Be honest with me, why in the fucking world would you do that?" Todoroki yells, only to push Iida away when he tries to stop him.

"Because I hated him! Because he said unacceptable things to me! Because nobody respects me as a human let alone a reporter." Izuku's voice wavers, but he bites his lip to prevent himself from crying.

"You can't put your job on the line for a shitty boss, Midoriya! How are you going to feed yourself? Pay your rent? And your mother? Do you still remember how hard she works everyday?"

"Of course I do-" Izuku starts, but Todoroki cuts him off.

"If you did, you wouldn't be here in this situation. You're fucking blacklisted! You can't join anymore news channels, do you realise that? I was not asking you to put up with your shitty boss and not change jobs. But at least until you get a new one? That's all we told you."

Seeing Izuku cry even harder, Todoroki flings the letter and storms away. He knew he probably went a little overboard, but Izuku needed it.

He had always been a little too choose-y as one would say. Todoroki doesn't say he's against it. But over the course of your life, you'll have to make some sacrifices.

He just doesn't know how to get Izuku to understand that.

Izuku ends up crying himself to sleep. He wakes up the next morning with a pounding head and uncomfortable work clothes on.

By the time he could adjust his eyes to the bright light, he knew it must be around noon. Before he could freakout about missing work, he remembers why he's in this situation in the first place.

Izuku stands up and walks towards the bathroom, a slight wobble on his feet. As soon as he's inside the bathroom, he looks at the mirror, sighing when he sees his tired reflection.

Izuku only remembers bits of the day before. He doesn't even remember what he drank or how he went to bed without anyone's help. But he does remember some parts of his argument with Todoroki.

By the time Izuku comes out of his room, Todoroki is at the kitchen. Izuku considers going back into his room, just like how he always would after an argument.

But before he could move, he hears the sound of a plate against the dining table. Todoroki had placed him a plate with 2 toasts. Before Izuku could question it, he also placed Izuku's mug filled with milk next to it.

It was clearly for Izuku.

"Todoroki..." Izuku whispers softly, his eyes already reating up.

"Eat. It's almost 12." Todoroki simply says before slipping away to his room. No matter the circumstances, Izuku's happy to have found friends like him.

While having his toast, Izuku skims through the newspaper, looking for more job openings. He doesn't hear Todoroki walking in until he hears running water behind him.

It was his turn to wash the dishes, of course. Maybe that's why he kept Izuku's plate aside and ask him to finish eating soon.

Right as Izuku down his mug of milk, Todoroki's phone starts ringing. Todoroki curses and fumbles a little, not knowing how to attend the call without getting it all soapy.

Izuku reaches forward and tries to turn it on. But then he notices the contact name.

Katsuki.

"He calls you?" Izuku finds himself asking before he could stop it.

"No. It's unusual to me as well, just turn it on." Todoroki immediately denies. Izuku gives him the side eye, but still obeys him.

"Bitch, why is Izuku's phone off?" Is what Katsuki asks as soon as the call connects.

"I don't fucking know!" Todoroki yells back, continuing to wash the dishes. "What did you want to say, anyway? Midoriya is right next to me." Todoroki adds.

"Oh nothing much, I just wanted to congratulate him for getting the job as my coach! It must be really exciting to teach someone like me-" but both Izuku and Todoroki tune him out.

And then Izuku screams, "What?" Before dashing towards his room to get his phone.