Chapter 18

The very same day, Izuku joins as the new assistant coach (technically assistant coach's assistant for the time being) and he's beyond excited.

The current assistant coach was retiring and even though the National Volleyball Association was aware of it, they didn't bother to put in a job availability until the last minute.

Which kinda helped because Izuku got it. And within 20 minutes of getting into the court, he made friends with almost everyone.

Katsuki thought he felt steam blow out of his ears when Izuku hops over to Monoma for an autograph. And of course, Monoma being the arrogant little prick he was, obligated with a smirk.

The entire practice, Katsuki was glaring at Izuku's back. And even after they leave, Izuku naturally gravitates towards Monoma and his friends, which irritates Katsuki.

"You don't understand-"

"I think I kinda do-"

"He has a crush on him!" Katsuki screams into his phone. Kirishima sighs on the other side, finally deciding to let Katsuki now off his steam.

"Todoroki was talking about it when they arrived, and then Izuku refused to say anything about him. It has to be Monoma. I saw the article about him on his page!" Katsuki continues, not bothering to lower his voice.

"It could be you, Bakugo." Kirishima starts, which thankfully stops Katsuki from screaming further. "Listen, maybe he didn't want to say because it was you."

"Why not, though? He knows for a fact that I still like him." Katsuki grumbles.

"What? Maybe he doesn't! You guys dated for like 2 hours!"

"Actually-" Katsuki starts but Kirishima cuts him off.

"No wait. Don't even try to correct me. You know what I mean. I just think... Maybe he's embarassed? He wanted to try dating you, he has so many articles about you and what not? It's you, Bakugo." Kirishima reason, which unfortunately ends in vain. Again.

"But that was months ago!"

"Oh my god Bakugo, I don't fucking know, alright? Just do what you want!" Kirishima hangs up. Katsuki screams in anger and throws his phone against his mattress.

They just don't get it.

And the following week ends up the same way. Monoma wasn't helping either. He sneers everytime he sees Katsuki look his way.

"Weren't you guys in a scandal?" Monoma spins towards Katsuki, leaning just a little too much into his personal space.

Katsuki shuts his eyes tightly and sighs. "Yes, dumbass."

"Do you like him or something? You've been staring at his ass for a while."

"What no- fuck off!" Katsuki admits with a huge blush.

"Katsuki, are you alright? You seem a little feverish." Izuku comes jogging towards them. He takes a few breathers, twisting his legs a little to calm his knee.

"I'm fine." Katsuki snaps, walking away from them.

"What's got your panties in a twist, blondie?"

"Monoma! You can't say that!" Izuku fusses over him, softly shushing others around him who were laughing.

"You're also blond, idiot." Katsuki yells out before marching out of the court and towards the dorms.

"What did you ask him?" Izuku sighs after watching Katsuki leave.

"He still likes you, Midoriya. I was simply asking him why he was staring at your ass." Monoma laughs loudly when Izuku turns a bright red.

"Well, you better go catch him before he blows up the entire building."

Izuku runs behind Katsuki, although his knee didn't seem to co-operate much.

"Katsuki, wait!" Izuku calls out, knowing full well Katsuki wouldn't. But it was worth a try.

"Don't follow me, you're gonna fuck your knee up." Katsuki calls out, his pace unwavering.

"I can't! You're angry at me." Izuku calls out, slowing down slowly when Katsuki stops for a second.

"Deku. I'm not mad at you." Katsuki sighs, completely stopping. However, he refuses to face Izuku.

"Then why did you sound like that?"

"I'm not mad at you. But that doesn't mean I'm not angry. Just leave me be and don't run again, you ran a lot today." Katsuki leaves with that, leaving Izuku by himself.

Izuku honestly doesn't understand Katsuki. One day he is the most romantic person Izuku had ever met, and the next day he would be hostile.

He usually ignores it, letting him figure things out himself, sometimes not even reply to his messages until he calms down and is ready to have a proper conversation.

But today, he finds himself walking up to Katsuki's room.

"Katsuki. Open the door, I'm not leaving until- woah hey, you actually opened it." Izuku walks in with Katsuki chuckling to himself.

"Why would I not open it?"

"Because you were angry."

"Like I said, I was angry. Not at you." Katsuki sighs, gesturing Izuku to sit on the bed. "Isn't this weird?" He then asks, confusing Izuku.

"Is what weird?"

Katsuki sighs and replies, "I mean, we are basically the same age and you're my assistant coach. And we are also exes."

"We dated for like 2 hours-"

"Shush. You're talking like Kirishima. I just mean, it all happened so fast and I don't think I like it." Katsuki sighs, leaning against his chair.

"You don't like me being your assistant coach?" Izuku asks with a confused frown.

"What? No! I mean, I don't like how fast we moved on."

"Moved on from us?" Izuku asks, catching onto Katsuki's point as he agrees.

"I just think I could've tried a little more, you know? Like, we could've tried a little more."

"It's not your fault, Katsuki. I was worried about my job and things just weren't going alright."

"Well, unfortunately, we can no longer change how things were. And we both moved on. Guess we should stop thinking about it." Katsuki says with a sad sigh.

"Moved on? You moved on already?" Izuku asks, confusing Katsuki.

"I mean, me moving on doesn't matter. You clearly moved on."

"What? I didn't move on! What gave you that idea?" Izuku immediately asks, standing up from his place in defense.

Katsuki stands up as well, in response to Izuku. "You have a crush."

"Is this about what Todoroki was saying the other day? Because listen-"

"No no no, it's fine. I just didn't think you would move on so quickly. I mean, you're right we barely dated, but still. I thought you genuinely liked me for a while." Katsuki continues rambling, his voice getting louder towards the end.

"Katsuki... Who do you think I have a crush on?"

"It's Monoma, isn't it?"

"Katsuki- did you really think that?" Izuku asks, exhasperatedly, rubbing his fingers against his temple. "Katsuki, Monoma is aroace."

Author's note:
I hope whoever is reading this is still alive, please. I'm so sorry for the late updates. I wanted to write a considerably big book for this, but I think I'll have to end it soon. The next chapter will probably be the epilogue. Thank you!