Chapter 15

Izuku wasn't upset.

Okay, maybe he was a little upset.

Fine, he's upset. He admits it. It's just that... Katsuki hadn't texted him in over a week now.

They had a small chat during the first week Katsuki travelled, which was unnecessarily restricted to volleyball.

However, Izuku did find himself waking up to Katsuki's good morning messages for a good week.

And the messages lasted to a couple minutes, but that's it. Izuku didn't blame Katsuki then, because he couldn't put in the effort to talk either.

It felt like they had created a gap.

But then, slowly the small talks reduced to just good morning. And then one day, Izuku didn't get messages anymore.

The worst thing was, it all happened in a span of 2 weeks. Was that all Izuku was worth? 2 dates and 1 week of texting?

By evening, Izuku could swear he had signed for the 100th time, and he had more to go.

"Stop sulking." Todoroki says, walking past the couch and ruffling Izuku's hair.

Izuku hisses at him, "Do not touch my hair. I combed it like half an hour ago."

"It was clearly of no use." Todoroki scowls back before sighing and sitting next to Izuku.

"Now tell me, what's wrong? Is it still your job?" Todoroki plops on the couch next to him, looking up at Izuku expectantly.

"I uh- maybe... Sure, I guess. But like- is just- uh... did Katsuki text you recently?" Izuku asks the question and immediately turns away, purposefully missing Todoroki's raised eyebrow.

"Mhm. It's been about a month, I think. But, it's not like I expected him to text me." Todoroki starts saying casually, he doesn't seem to be interested in teasing Izuku about his question.

He rather feels comfortable to share more about the topic.

"Like I told you, Bakugo is really passionate about volleyball. Or just- his career in general. And when he gets into it," Todoroki pauses to chuckle.

"He's lost in it. It's unlikely to find someone like him, you know. Such passion and dedication. But along the way, he forgets a lot of things. People."

Izuku sighs loudly. This is exactly what he didn't want Katsuki to fall into. This is exactly why his mother forbade him from continuing volleyball.

When a passion becomes too much, it's an obsession. Katsuki's obsessed with volleyball. He cares for nothing but his game.

"Why do you think I never introduced you to Bakugo? It had been about 4 years since I saw him, Midoriya. Hell, since I even received a proper text from him.

"He doesn't put any effort into his friendship or relationship, that's why it's so hard to get close to him. We used to be close back in high school, you know?

"But the more I think about it, the more I realise how everything we talked about was volleyball. That's all he knows. It's weird.

"You know the reason why he's still talking to our other friends? Because they still play with him. And I don't, so he dropped me along the way." Todoroki bitterly finishes.

"Todoroki... I'm sure that's not the reason." Izuku starts, feeling guilty. "He was probably just busy? Or maybe awkward texting? You guys were fine after you caught up with each other!"

Todoroki simply gives a sad smile. "That's not true, Midoriya. It's fine, though. I guess that's all I was worth to him.

"But you should've seen us in high school. We were so notorious and- and the teachers hated him! I was dragged into every mess he makes only because we were best friends.

"Oh god, I remember jumping over school walls during school hours because his favorite volleyball team was in town for a match.

"Or maybe even the time we got fake IDs to go to a club because Kaminari wanted to. He was hard to get close to but that's probably because he never lasts." Todoroki ends with a sigh, simply patting his own knee awkwardly.

"I'm sorry Midoriya, tonight was supposed to be about you." Izuku simply smiles and shakes his head, scooting closer to Todoroki.

"I'm sorry I always made things about myself. I never realised you must be hurting too. You are his best friend, after all." Izuku apologized softly.

"So, do you wanna go meet your boyfriend?" Izuku asks Todoroki shyly. Todoroki laughs out loud, grabbing his keys and racing Izuku to the door.

Izuku and Todoroki sit in silence at the cat cafe, waiting for their orders. Most kittens seemed to be a bit lazy that day and preferred to fall asleep on the customers rather than play with them.

Izuku had a kitten in his arms nuzzling into his chest with all its might, looking for a warm space.

Todoroki had a kitten, which also had a bi-coloured fur (just not the same colours as him) lying down on his lap, already asleep.

"She's Cloud, by the way. I named her when she was born and she's always stuck with me whenever I'm here." Todoroki explains, petting Cloud as gently as he could.

"Hm. I should've realised how weird it was for you to go on dates only here. But seriously, cat cafe? You could've told us." Izuku giggles, scratching the kitten's ear softly.

"Iida wouldn't stop asking where I was. I get that he was worried, but it's better to lie that I have a boyfriend than admit the fact that I'm obsessed with cold soba, right?"

Before Izuku could dismiss Todoroki's statement, Cloud meows, already waking up.

"See! She agrees with my statement." Todoroki chuckles, lifting her up and nuzzling their noses together just to hear her meow again.

"I'm sorry." Izuku suddenly says. "It's just, I shouldn't be troubling you with my worries and... I feel guilty to have dismissed the fact that others could be hurting as well."

"Midoriya. Listen, you're not troubling us. We are happy to listen to you. All we hope is that your happy with what you're doing. And I don't want you to sacrifice your happiness for anything, okay?"

Izuku simply nods. Maybe it's time to pull out the crushed newspaper advertisement from the dustbin again.