Chapter 7

| Awake |

Morning came. It was shocking to see him finally able to open his eyes. Sadly, that's the only thing he can do at the moment.

"Good morning-Oh? Doctor! He's awake!" James called as soon as he saw him.

What just happened?

He thought. After a few minutes, the doctor came out. "I hope this doesn't give you much hope. I still don't have any good news about his health, but I would be very happy if he could somehow survive or live a little longer."

James nod. He entered the room again. His eyes are close. He held his hand, still not feeling any heat in his friend's body. "You're still cold, huh? Get well soon, Nu. I miss you already."

He placed a flower in a vase that was on top of the table near his bed. Nunew really likes that flower. How can he not remember it?

"You look really beautiful with this flower, Nhu. Don't worry, I'll buy you thousands of them when you wake up. So wake up already."

His phone vibrated. It was his alarm. He fixed his friend's hair before saying goodbye. He left the hospital and went straight to their school.

He's alone again. His mind is barely working, but he's aware of what's happening and still expects someone to visit him.

Who is he?

...

A tall figure entered the room. The room suddenly changed its mood. A hand held his, interlocking them. It felt like a charger to his body. His heartbeat started increasing its speed slowly.

"I never knew that your hands would be this soft." It was Zee. The one that he want and the one that he need. He sat beside Nunew's bed and let go of his hand.

Why the fuck did I do that?

He questioned himself. He started cleaning and arranging Nunew's room. A guy like him couldn't handle germs. He wanted it organized and not to look scruffy, not just for him but also for Nunew.

"Hia." A weak voice called. He turned around, seeing Nunew awake. He was about to call the doctor, but Nunew cut him off. "No, please don't. That wouldn't help anyway."

Nunew finally understood his condition better than the doctor. It may sound cliche, but his life really depends on Zee. He needed him. Like literally.

"How are you?" Zee asked. The young man wanted to smile but didn't even have enough strength to do that. "I'm fine, Hia. You visit me. I thought you had already forgotten about me."

"How can I? Oh, I bought something from Chiang Rai. You might like it." He grabbed his bag and took out a bracelet. Nunew's feelings are filled with joy. He never thought that Hia would bother buying that for him.

Zee took his hand and wrapped the bracelet around his wrist. He stared at him doing that. He watched him blink and focused on locking the bracelet.

Cute...

"It looks good. Thank you, Hia." A smile formed on Zee's face but quickly faded as soon as he realized it. "How's your phone, anyway?" He changed the topic.

He suddenly felt different around Nunew. He did not plan to stay here for long, but he couldn't leave Nunew alone.

He just can't leave him knowing that they have that strong connection with each other.

Days pass by, and Zee continues to visit Nunew. Nunew's condition got a lot better. He stayed there for a good eight days and was finally able to be discharged, thanks to Zee. Surprisingly, they are able to pay for the hospital bills. Nunew felt bad for his parents. He never wanted this to happen, but he can't stop blaming himself.

His mother started looking for another job. At his mother's age, she should be resting now. Nunew wants to work to help them, but she won't let him.

The next day, Nunew went to school like nothing had happened. Teachers kept asking him questions, which is annoying. The two people he could only talk to are James and Yim.

Extra

"Yim, how did you and Tutor start dating?" Nunew asked out of nowhere.

Yim laughed at his question and got shy. "Why do you want to know?" Nunew laughed along. He stared at the window, waiting for Yim's answer.

Knowing that Yim knew more about love between people of the same gender, he did not hesitate to ask him. "I can't remember when it started, but he has been my suitor for a year and a half. I wasn't really going to answer him, but I slowly fell for him. He proved his love and patience for me, and I believe that's more than enough reason for me to say yes."

He turned his body toward him and nudged his shoulder. "Why are you asking, huh? You've never been interested in love."

Nunew smiled and started telling him about Zee, which shocked Yim. "You mean P'Pruk? I never knew you liked older guys."

"It's not about his age, though. You know, whenever I'm with him, I feel alive and motivated. I feel like I could tell him every secret that I have. I'm not sure if it's love yet, but yes, I do like him."

"Love really changed you, huh?" Nunew chuckled and nodded. "So when are you planning to confess?" Yim asked.

"Not really sure. I'm afraid of rejections. I don't think I can confess to him."

"You need to be tough in the name of love."

"I told you I didn't think it was love yet."

"How can you not be sure?"

...