Chapter 10

| success? |

-

Flashback

ZEE's

"P'Zee, can I ask you a favor? Well, we're actually, uhmm, kinda short on money, and my brother seems to have problems with his phone. We don't have much money to buy a new one, so I'm thinking maybe it can be fixed. I'll pay you, I promise, but just not today." Tee looks down at his feet while talking. I turn to look at him. "Sure, I don't have anything to do, so why not? I'll do it for free." I don't know why I agreed since I'm kind of busy working on our project. 

Later that day, Tee took me to their house. It was simple. not big or small. It was just like our house in the province, but smaller. Make yourself comfortable. "I'll check Nunew first."

...Nunew?

I got disappointed thinking that it would be that Chawarin boy. Tee came back and took me to his brother's room.

Oh? It's him...

"Good thing you're awake. He's P'Zee, my friend. He can help you with your phone. Anyway, I gotta go now." Tee pats my back before leaving.

He invited me inside as soon as he saw me standing awkwardly at his door. His phone turned on and started charging out of nowhere.

It seems like there was some serious problem with its battery.

"Oh? Why is it charging all of a sudden?"

"I don't know what happened, but a month ago, I received a file that I think is a virus, and then my phone started acting strange. I also took it to a repair shop, but he said that he couldn't fix the virus."

I froze at my spot. No way did it come from me. That's impossible. They need to know about this. "Wait here for a moment." I gave him back his phone and walked further away from his room.

I contacted our group chat and called them; luckily, they answered. "The love battery worked, but we fucked up."

"What do you mean? What happened?" Mark asked. You can tell that he was nervous.

"The time you sent me the file, I accidentally forwarded it to the wrong number, and the person who received it is my friend's brother. There's some strange shit happening on his phone. I think that's it."

"And what's the bad thing about that?" Net asked.

"The thing is, I'm his match."

"That's good. You know it better than anyone, so maybe you can try to fix it and bring it back to normal." I was silent. No, I did not know. There are some things there that may not be working, and it was programmed so that it will only end when it reaches 100%. 

"I'll just call you later." I ended the call and went back to his room. Maybe I can fix it by replacing the battery. Lucky me, his brother told me the model of his phone.

It was an old version and had weak protection when it came to viruses.

"Uhm, do you have a wireless charger with you? Can I borrow it?"

"No, I don't have one, but I have a wired charger here." I was about to give him mine, but he stopped me by saying, "No, it won't work." I nodded and took his phone from his hand.

"Maybe the problem is the battery. I think it's better to replace it with a new one." I started looking at the back of his phone and opened it with my tools. 

The battery was built in, but it won't be that difficult. I started opening it and was about to pull out the battery. His hand clenches his chest, and my attention automatically goes back to him.

Oh fuck... I forgot about that.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" I hurriedly put back the cover.

The virus will also spread through his body, making the heart and the battery connected to each other. The answer is that it can't be fixed by changing the battery. 

I don't know how I came up with this and didn't know that it would be this dangerous, but why did nothing happen to me? 

Nunew's face looks like he was losing blood. His eyes were glossy from tears. "Chawarin? I'll fix your phone later, hmm? Let's just rest for now. Do you want water?" I tried my best to stay calm, even though I was panicking inside.

I stayed there until his brother came. Now that I know that I'm the only one that he needs, I've started getting anxious. I came home thinking about what's happening.

Come on, Zee, you want this. You should be happy that it's working. 

"But I never intended to harm someone." I sigh and close my eyes. I can't fall asleep. My heart is full of guilt.

The funny part is...

I still want to continue that project...

I started it, and we've already gotten this far. Why wouldn't I continue?

...

Days pass, and I continue hanging out with Nunew. It became a hobby of mine to stay in his room and do nothing. Fixing his phone is just a shitty excuse. It cannot be fixed until he falls for me.

I've been here countless times—why is it still 50%?

I plan to make it at least 80% since I already booked a flight to Chiang Rai. Each day that passes, his phone will lose 5% of its battery. I want to stay there for a month, but I can't. This kid might die.

"Are you really leaving, Hia?" I can sense the sadness in his voice. My heart melted by hearing that. I've never felt this before. the feeling of knowing that someone is waiting for you to come back without actually saying it to you.

"Yeah. Don't worry, I'll be back after 2 weeks. Take care, nong."

...

Tsk... 2 weeks? more like a week and a half. 

...

I didn't make it. My heart is already missing Bangkok. 

.
.
.

Is it really the place that I'm missing? or a certain person?