Chapter Three: How To Save A Life- The Fray

I stare at the rock climbing wall my thoughts trailing away from gym class and back to what happened at the police station

I stare at the rock climbing wall my thoughts trailing away from gym class and back to what happened at the police station. Unlike Isaac I didn't turn, Derek said that he would look into it for me. I guess even among the supernatural I am a freak. I think to myself I suddenly get an overwhelming feeling of panic washed over me. I turn back to the wall and I see Erica frozen, "Oh shit." I mumble to myself. I run over and climb up the rocks quickly getting to her side. "Oh, please–" I hear her mumble. "It's okay Erica it's me. It's Nyx I'm right here." I tell her calmly. "Erica." Coach says causing me to glare at him. "Coach, maybe it's not safe. You know, she's epileptic." Allison says watching us worriedly "Why doesn't anybody tell me this stuff???" Coach asks before looking back up at us. "Erica, y-you're fine. Just-just kick off from the wall. Th-there's a mat to catch you. Come on." He says and I roll my eyes gently. "Hey, only push off when you are ready. I'm right here for you." I tell her and she looks at me before nodding her head. She pushes off and slowly goes back to the ground. I push off and land on my feet beside her. Everyone around us is chuckling "See? You're fine. You're on the ground. You're all right. Let's go. Shake it off. You're fine." Coach says and I wrap an arm around her shoulders gently. "Leave her alone you Jackyls," I growl at them leading her away.

I got done getting dressed when something told me to go back to the gym. I walk back into the gym just in time to see Erica seize. "Erica!" I shout racing over to catch her. Scott met me there and we both caught her. "Help me get her on her side!" I shout at him as people crowd around us. I hold her head in my lap gently. She grips my hand tightly and I pet her head. I hated this life for her, it broke my heart to see one of my best friends go through this. I caught a ride with her in the ambulance because next to her mom I was her emergency contact. We get to the hospital and Melissa takes her back to a room. I sigh softly and pull out my phone to make a certain phone call.

I look around as I wait outside the door and out walks Derek. "How is she?" I ask him worriedly. He nods his head gently, "She will make it through the bite and she will be a lot better." He tells me and I give him a grateful smile. "Thank you, Derek, I'm sorry to ask you for this but, I just couldn't leave her here to die," I mumble looking away from his eyes. He squeezes my shoulder gently, "I understand why you called me, I was actually thinking about offering her the bite before you asked." He tells me and I nod my head gently. He goes to walk away, "Derek wait." I say running after him. He stops and waits for me, "Did you find out what's going on with me?" I ask him as I fiddle with my jacket nervously. He pulls me close to hug me gently. "No, I haven't but, I won't stop you until we figure this out. You are a part of the pack." He says softly to me and I nod my head gently.

Word Count: 616