Chapter Eleven: Stand By You- Rachel Platten

Author Note: {Today was a hard day for me so I decide to post two chapters today to try and help with the mood boost so please enjoy and I am sorry but not sorry for the ending of this chapter. Love you all}

I sat in surround by different books in the old Hale house Derek standing across the room from me when suddenly Erica and Boyd walked in

I sat in surround by different books in the old Hale house Derek standing across the room from me when suddenly Erica and Boyd walked in. "You've decided... When?" Derek asks the two of them. "Tonight," Erica says I look up at the two of them my heart aching. "Everyone's gonna be at the game. We figured it was the best time." Boyd explains as Derek helps me to my feet. "It's not like we want to," Erica says and I look at her with a gentle gaze. "What do you want?" Derek asks her "Since I just turned sixteen a month ago, I wouldn't mind getting my license... I can't do that if I'm dead, you know." She says and I walk over to them. I open my mouth to say something but, Derek cuts me off. "Well, I told you there was a price," Derek says defensively. "Yeah, but you didn't say it would be like this!" Boyd shouts back at him.

"Yeah, but I told you how to survive-- you do it as a pack. And you're not a pack without an Alpha."Derek says.

"We know."

"You wanna look for another pack?"

"How are you even gonna find one?"

"We think we already did..." Boyd says causing me to look at them with worry before looking back at Derek. I swallow gently, this is not good.

"Like, all of a sudden, we heard all this howling. It was unbelievable."Erica explains to us what they heard in the woods. "There must have been a dozen of them," Boyd says before Erica jumps into the conversation again. "Maybe more!" She says interjecting. Derek scoffs as he looks at the pups. "Yeah, or maybe only two. Do you know what the Beau Geste effect is? If they modulate their howls with a rapid shift in tone, two wolves can sound like twenty." He tells them causing Boyd and Erica to look at each other before the latter nods her head. "Look, that doesn't matter, okay? There's another pack out there. There's got to be. We've made up our minds." She says in a confident voice. "Yeah. We lost, Derek. And it's over. We're leaving." Boyd says and I give them a small sad smile before joining Derek's side. "No. No, you're running. And once you start, you don't stop. You'll always be running." He tells them before turning his back on them. They leave and I place a hand on top of his reassuring him with a small squeeze. He looks at me and gives me a small smile before we both feel another presence join us. "Derek?" I ask softly as he grabs a shard of glass and throws it perfectly as he pulls me behind him. I look past him my eyes widening slightly in fear seeing the man who came from under the floorboards. "...I expected a slightly warmer welcome. But, point taken." He says as he holds the piece of glass that nearly embedded itself in his neck.

"It's quite a situation you've gotten yourself in here, Derek... I mean, I'm out of commission for a few weeks, and suddenly there's lizard people, geriatric psychopaths, and you're cooking up Werewolves from every self-esteem-deprived adolescent in town." He comments as he walks closer to Derek and I. "What do you want?" Derek asks him irritably. "Well, I want to help. You're my nephew-- the only relative I have left. You know, there's still a lot that I can teach you..." He says before his eyes look past him and land on me. Without realizing it I feel my eyes shift and I am flooded with his emotions. "He's scared," I say softly to Derek. The man who I recall Derek namedropped as Peter, places a hand on his shoulder. "Can we just talk?" He asks him in an affectionate voice. Derek looks down at the hand on his shoulder. "Yeah... Let's talk." He says and I take a few steps back before he grabs Peter and throws him into the staircase. Peter falls with a groan. "Go back to the loft and find your brother," Derek tells me and I hold back a bark of laughter. "Right and leave you with the psycho killer who just sprang up from the floor a few hours ago. Not happening, Derek." I tell him. He turns to me and flashes his alpha eyes. I glare right back at him with my purple-hued eyes. "I am not leaving you again Derek... not this time," I tell him honestly. He looks away and sighs, "Fine but, stay out of the way as I kick his ass." He tells me before stalking toward Peter.

I sit on one of the bookcases reading before I catch Peter flying back down the stairs of the house from the corner of my eyes. I close my book and sigh softly before standing up. "You don't actually think that I want to be the Alpha again, do you? That wasn't my finest performance, considering it ended in my death. I mean, I'm usually more–" He starts before Derek goes to hit him again. "Okay, go ahead! Come on, do it! Hit me. Hit me. I can see that it's cathartic for you! You're letting go of all the anger, self-loathing, and hatred that comes with total and complete failure." Peter spats out at him as blood drips from the corner of his mouth. I look at Derek the words of this man seeming to hit him in a sore spot. "I may be the one taking the beating, Derek, but you've already been beaten. So, go ahead. Hit me if that will make you feel better. After all, I did say that I wanted to help." He tells Derek. Derek tosses him to the ground panting as he does. "You can't help me," Derek says defeatedly. I look at Derek with a soft gaze, I avert my eyes as he walks over to me.

Derek sits beside me and I laugh as I look at his hand wiping away Peter's blood that was caked to his knuckles. "See? Prime example right here-- I'm not healing as fast. Coming back from the dead isn't easy, you know. I'm not as strong as I used to be. I need a pack. I need an Alpha. An Alpha like you. I need you as much as you need me." He says causing Derek to look at me. I shrug my shoulders gently and motion toward Peter, "Why would I want help from a total psychopath?" He asks scoffingly. "First of all, I'm not a total psycho. And, by the way, you're the one that slashed my throat wide open." Peter says defensively and I give him a look. "But, we're all works in progress, right? So, we need each other. Sometimes, when you need help, you turn to people you'd never expect. You tried to build your pack. You tried to prepare for the worst. You weren't ready. Because of it, Gerard is winning. He's taking his time. He's toying with Scott. He's going after your wolves, one by one. He's relishing in his victory." Peter says and I glare at him, "Maybe tell us something we don't know?" I growl at him Derek places a hand on top of mine. "Oh, I'm going to, and it's gonna prove why you should trust me-- why you need to trust me. Because I'm going to tell you how to stop Jackson." Peter says his eyes sparkling as he catches Derek's movements. "What do you mean? You know how to kill him?" Derek asks. I stand up and walk away as I am suddenly enveloped with fear. I gasp out in pain as I grip onto the railing tightly. I tune back into the conversation just in time to catch the ending. "...Lydia." Derek says softly. "Your best ally has always been anger, Derek, but what you lack most is a heart. That's why you've always known that you need Scott more than anyone. And even somebody as burned and dead on the inside as me knows better than to underestimate the simple yet undeniable power of human love." Peter says. I fall to my knees causing both of them to look at me. I swallow in a shaken breathe. "Derek help." I whimper out before a cry of pain rips through my body. "What's wrong what's going on?" Derek asks me in a worried tone. "Holy shit she's an empath." I hear Peter say. I open my eyes and both of them jump back slightly surprised.

Word Count: 1,495