𝖛𝖎. 𝖉𝖊𝖛𝖎𝖑 𝖋𝖆𝖈𝖊, 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑 𝖊𝖞𝖊𝖘

Persephone's eyes fluttered before opening fully and squinting at the sudden lightness

Persephone's eyes fluttered before opening fully and squinting at the sudden lightness. Her eyes focus on the person hovering over her. Hades sighs in relief, relaxing upon finally seeing those hazel eyes gazing up at him.

"Welcome back." He whispers, a soft smile on his face. Persephone sits up quickly making Hades sit down in the chair next to her bed. She notices that Wednesday and Xavier are also in the room, standing further away from the bed. "Just take it easy. Nurse said you don't have a concussion, but you probably have a nusty bump, huh?"

"The last thing I remember I was walking outside with Wednesday- how are you, by the way?" She directed her question towards the other girl in the room.

"Feeling a mixture of rage, pity and self-disgust. I've never felt any of these things before." She admits emotionlessly, standing still as a statue at the foot of the bed.

"Yeah, losing to Bianca has that effect on people, I think." Xavier mutters, glancing briefly to Wednesday.

"Seph, you're the one we should be focusing on." Hades reminds her, the nickname slipping out so naturally, he didn't even realise he had done it. "What happened next?"

"I looked up and saw that gargoyle coming down and thought, 'At least I'll have a cool death'. Then you tackled me out of the way." Persephone looked to her saviour. "Thank you but... Why?"

"I acted on instinct." He shrugged it off, not wanting to admit the fear he felt at the thought of losing her. He looked down to his clasped hands to avoid staring into her eyes, worried he would spill the whole truth if he did look.

"So you were guided by latent chivalry, the tool of the patriarchy, to extract her undying gratitude?" Wednesday butts in, glancing suspiciously at her brother.

"You know, most people just say thank you, Weds." He says snarkily to his sister, looking to her with an annoying grin.

"Maybe she didn't want to be rescued." Wednesday retorts, trying to get under her brother's skin.

"I'm actually quite gratef-" Persephone started but was cut off.

"So he shoulda just let that thing smash her to mush?" Xavier defends, arms crossed against his chest as he leans on the wall.

"Maybe she would have rather saved herself." Comes Wednesday's argument. Persephone and Hades glance to each other with incredulous looks. How did this turn into the Wednesday show?

Xavier scoffs. "Good to see you haven't changed." Wednesday's head lowers to glare at him in confusion. "Xavier Thorpe?" He probes, flickering his eyes from Wednesday to Hades, whose face is even blanker than his sister's. He has no idea who this is. "You probably don't remember me. Last time we met, I was about two feet shorter, 40 pounds heavier."

"What happened?" Wednesday cuts in.

Xavier shrugs. "Puberty, I guess."

"I meant what happened the last time we met?" Hades and Persephone's head were shifting from left to right, following the conversation like it was a tennis match.