Chapter Twenty-Nine

I sat on the plush bed, hugging my knees to my chest. My entire world was just turned upside down. My brother, who I believed to be dead, is actually alive. He was kidnapped and was unable to leave. He came to find me and when he got to the house he saw my mother kidnap me. He followed her but that doesn’t explain how he took me from her.

I stood up from the bed and headed for the door. I had no clue where I was and I also had no idea what awaited me downstairs. I was scared to find out. Whose house was this anyways? Would my brother even answer any of my questions?

As I opened the door a bright light greeted me. It took a second before my eyes could adjust to the light, after all I was in a dark room.  I looked around the hallway to find any clues. The walls were painted a soft yellow and there was off white carpet covering the floor.

I stepped out of the room and into the hallway. There was a wooden table sitting against the wall. On the table there was a picture frame sitting on the table. I walked closer to the table in order to see what picture was sitting in the frame. When I reached the table, I picked up the frame. I turned the frame around and looked at the picture.

Tears flooded my eyes when I saw the picture. It was a framed picture of my brother and I when we were younger. We were young and happy. In the picture we were at our lake house, I’m guessing it was the summer before the accident. I was missing my two front teeth and my brothers’ hair was a mess. I was smiling so wide and brother was flexing as if he had muscles.

A tear slide down my cheek as I recalled the day, it was such a happy time, well before everything happened. I wish my brother was never kidnapped; maybe we would’ve been one big happy family.

“That was a great day,” I heard my brother say from behind me.

I set the frame down and wiped the tears from my eyes, “I don’t remember it but I’m sure it was a happy time.”

I looked at my brother and smiled. I was fighting back the tears, I still couldn’t believe that he was alive and here. All this time I mourned the brother that I lost, now I’m mourning the time I lost with him.

“Who’s house is this?” I questioned.

“It’s mine; I inherited it from my grandparents. Well the parents of the people who kidnapped me.” He looked down at the ground, “They were the only good thing that came from me being kidnapped.”

I smiled a little, at least he had someone. I was just sad because I wasn’t there for him. I was upset because there was no fighting between us, there were no happy teenage moments between and he never tried to beat up my boyfriends.

“How did you get me away from mom?” I asked taking his thoughts away from his lost fake grandparents.

“Well I ran into the warehouse about 10 minutes after she took you in. When I slammed open the door she had a knife in her hand, it was covered with blood. She turned and looked me, she looked like she had just seen a ghost.” He looked away from me, “When I told her to stop and get away she freaked. She started yelling and saying things like, you’re supposed to be dead, how can you be alive, I told them to kill you.”

Tears started to form in my eyes, “She wanted you dead?”

He just shrugged and started to walk down the stairs, “I guess so. I punched her, grabbed you and brought you back to my home.”

I wiped away the tears that started to fall and followed my brother down the stairs.

“If she wanted you dead and hired people for it, why would she abuse me?” I wondered stopping at the top of the stairs.

He looked up at me with a sad look in her eyes, “She’s a terrible human being. I’ll never understand why she tried to do it but I’ll never forgive her for it either.”

I shrugged and followed him down stairs. This house was beautiful and he was lucky he had people loving him as opposed to abusing him while growing up. Granted he was kidnapped but still there is something good that came out of it.

We walked into the kitchen and I looked around the kitchen and saw that there was food sitting on the counter. When I saw the food my stomach started to growl and I realized that how hungry I actually was.

“Here, eat something.” He said motioning to the food on the counter.

“Thanks.” I sat down and started eating as though I hadn’t eaten in a long time.

As I was eating, one thought occurred to me, “Hey so when are you going to take me back to dad?”

My brother froze in his tracks; he had a look of terror on his face. He looked as though he didn’t want to see my father. I realize that it’s been years and my father thinks he’s dead but he needs to tell him what happened to him. We need to tell my dad’s lawyer what our mother had done.

_______________________________________________________________

Just so y'all know the story will be coming to an end soon! I'm thinking maybe Chapter 35 or 40 will be the last chapter. Not 100% sure yet! But we shall see!  Let me know if y'all liked it! vote/comment. <3