scrims 2

Protagonist's

"you came," he says with contentment, his smile blinding me from how bright it is.

The hand covering my mouth made its way to my eyes instead, thinking I might actually go blind from just this guy's smile. I pick the basketball up from just the tip of my foot, passing it to him; somehow this makes him giggle. He transfers that pass to the referee, going back to his previous position on the court.

"YOU GOT HIM GIGGLIN' LIKE THAT?" I turn to Piona, who's shocked out of her mind. "oi, careful," I say, catching the about-to-fall bucket of popcorn from her hands. "Great, not even a quarter in the game, and my cover's already blown." I mutter to myself, slapping my hood off since it serves no point now.

"Chill, it's not that deep," Rather than crunching and munching, this time, the sound of sucking on a straw occupied my ears. When did she even get that. . . ?

I return my attention to the game; apparently, a player on our school's team got fouled, and now he's getting two free throws. "GO BABE!" someone's voice pierced my eardrums, making my face twitch from the damage.

The players line up on the free throw line as number 0 makes a couple of shooting gestures. He misses the first shot, dapping his teammates up on the line. Finally, he dribbles for a bit, taking a big breath before shooting—would you look at that, he misses again.

"IT'S OKAY, IT'S OKAY," the same girl from earlier chants, her peers following right after. The way they cheered made me sway from left to right stiffly, with Piona imitating me almost immediately. I couldn't see whenever our team was on the defending side because of my nearsightedness, so I just gave up and gave a fuck whenever they were on this side of the court.

"THOMPSON FOR THE THREE," I narrated jokingly, even flicking my wrist. Stephen turns to me, giving me a look that says 'unbelievable'. "JUST ABOUT SHORT, GREEN WITH THE OFFENSIVE REBOUND," I rapped, seeing him on the verge of cracking up. "GREEN TO CURRY, CURRY GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHERRRR," I roll my r's, getting a smile from him. "CURRY—" I throw three fingers up in the air, manifesting. "—WITH THE BUCKET," I say as his shot goes in, giving him a small celebratory dance with Piona right after. Ah, yes, Piona hasn't stopped dancing ever since that chant.

--

Three quarters have gone by, and we're currently in the fourth one; if I got tired from just joking on the sidelines and commentating, just how are they still able to run and make plays like that? I asked myself as I now sat on the gymnasium's cold ground with my friend, Piona. "How do you still have food?" I asked curiously, taking a bite of the wafer she offered. "It's in my blood. . ." she says, dead serious.

"By the way, you wanna try watching on the other side of the court?" Piona suggested, to which I just plainly obliged.

We made our way to the opposite side, the other school's team calling a timeout. "To be honest, I dragged you here because number 11 from the other school's cute." she says as the court clears up, the players going to their team's bench. I let out a small 'o' in response, nosily trying to spot 11 amidst the roster once they were back.

The whistle blows again with the other school in possession of the ball. There he is; Irving 11, the back of his jersey read. I stare at him as he handles the ball swiftly and effectively, getting through our school's defense. He steps back just right about the three-point line, shooting the ball.

"Woah, that was good," I clapped subconsciously, earning a light nudge from Piona. "what?" I ask as she nods off, pointing somewhere with her pouted lips. I looked to where she was implying, only to see Stephen no longer smiling, following number 11 with his eyes.

Oh shit, I fucked up. . .

"Tsk tsk, with great power comes great responsibility." she says in a scolding manner. "Piona, you're not helping." I snapped, squinting my eyes at her.

--

2 updates at 12am instead of going to sleep for my 7am classes 💀