jasmines

"nah, I'm good," Lovi says as Stephen tries his hardest not to crack a smile. 

Good, 'cause I like you, he thinks to himself.

"Anyways," she trails off, twiddling her sweaty thumbs, asking, "—wanna hang during the weekends? Only if you're free, of course."

He knew damn well he wasn't, but he also knew not to reject his future wifey's invitation.

"sure,"

--

Stephen's

Weekends came as easy as a breeze, leaving me in church, listening to the choir sing praises to the Lord. It wasn't long till the priest finally ends the mass, earning a 'thank God' from me for this blessed day.

Today was a day unlike any other, today marks 'd-day' on my calendar; Lovi and I are going out.

I sneakily ditch my family, making sure to lose them in the crowd as I spend my time on the sidewalks, looking at flower vendors. I scan the variety of colorful flowers, slowly becoming uninterested till I finally spot my pick. "What's that one called?" I ask the seller as I point towards a group of small white flowers with a pop of bright yellow in their center.

"Those are jasmines, young mister; they mean unconditional and eternal love in the flower language." "Sweet, I'll take them." A smile creeps up my lips as I stare at them, seeing her in the flowers with her signature bright yellow hoodie.

I shake my head along with my thoughts—I must be going insane. . .

Protagonist's

♫ double take by dhruv - playing

I wait for him by the sidewalks, enjoying the mild wind that was playing with my hair. Leaning against the ledge of the bay area, I bop my head to the tunes.

But I won't deny that in the midst of the crowds

In the shapes in the clouds

I don't see nobody but you 

I flutter my eyes open, seeing a familiar tall guy standing out amidst the crowds. I smile a little, climbing up the ledge and waving my arms out for him to see.

It wasn't long till he saw me; his immediate reaction was to run my way and get me off the high platform. "I thought I already told you I hate being carried and shit. . ." I snap at him as he puts me down from singlehandedly lifting me.

"You'll learn to like it," he says with a smirk, making me raise my brows in disbelief before scoffing. "Anyways, these are for you." He hands me a small bouquet of sampaguita, leaving me surprised. (sampaguita also means jasmine, Arabian jasmine to be exact)

"Earth to Lovi~" he says, waving the flowers right in my face, snapping me out of my trance. "Did you know this is my country's national flower?" I randomly blabbed, taking the flowers. "Really? I only picked jasmines since they're the cheapest." to which I rolled my eyes.

"I'm confused; what's this for anyway?" I finally addressed, making him cough. "Well, I figured it'd be nice manners since we're going out, and allat."

Ding!

As if a comical light bulb had lit up above my head, it finally hit me.

He thought we were actually gonna hang out in that way. . .

"Stephen. . ." I sigh before facepalming, "We're here to study."

--

"Stephen?" I call out to him for the nth time, and he ignores me for the nth time as well, sipping his coffee. Of course he'd be sulking; it was another nasty misunderstanding after all. I sigh, mentally preparing myself for what I'm about to do.

"Hey, one more problem solving, and then we can go, okay?" I plead, pouting his way. Contrary to his previous actions, he immediately put his drink down and grabbed a pen, starting the worksheet.

While he works, I turn my face towards the window by my side in embarrassment, watching the street and its people.

"done," he announces, not even taking a moment before grabbing his coffee and leaving the shop. I watch him, who's now part of the passersby I've been spectating for the past few minutes.

Stephen's

Though we technically still got to spend time together outside of school today, it didn't stop me from being dejected. I got so excited over nothing. . .

I stop in the midst of walking to look at my reflection in a parked car's window: white tee, matching gray blazer and pants, white rubber shoes, along with a backwards black hat. Honestly, I could only laugh at how pathetic this had been.

Calming down, I take in the morning view around me. The birds singing as they soar through the lightest shade of blues, the bright yellow sun peeking just a little.

"Beautiful, huh?" I nearly jumped, snapping my head from looking above to just beside me, laying my eyes upon her. "yeah," I say, as she still has her eyes on the sky while I have mine on her.

She randomly whips out the bouquet of jasmines I bought her, smells them, and sends a smile towards me in appreciation.

"You haven't had lunch yet, right?"