chapter 71.

The Next Day

Lexie:
I quite obviously couldn't go to school today due to the fact I'm still sitting in a hospital bed. I get to go home this evening though which I am very much looking forward too.

Dad came in this morning after dropping Rose at school and Cosmo at my grandparents for the day. The three of us have been watching whatever terrible movies they have playing on the tv for majority of the morning and discussing the plan for Atlanta.

They're both now skeptical about me staying with Lizzie for the final week which I can understand, but they said that they'll see how I go for the next couple of weeks and decide a few days prior because if worse comes to worse, one of them will move their work around.

Annie messaged me to ask if I was alright. I just told her that I was taking a few days off for my mental health, not ready to go into any details of what happened.
Ivy messaged me too asking the same thing.

I still haven't heard a word from Addy.

I've tried not to think about it though. At least not too much.

"Can we go get some food? I'm hungry." My question obviously takes my parents by surprise. It's been a long time since I've willingly wanted to eat, but my stomach is growling at me. Besides, it's midday now and I need an excuse to get out of this room.

"Sure," Mom nods.

We both get up from the bed, I fix up the scrubs I've been too lazy to change out of and throw on my Dad's jacket before taking her hand as the three of us make our way day to the cafeteria.

"Oh wait, I need my phone," I remember, quickly running back into the room and getting it.

As we get into the elevator, I lean against the wall, resting my head on Dad's shoulder whilst grabbing ahold of Mom's hand again.

"I wanna dye my hair," I decide. 

They both look down at me, Mom quirking an eyebrow. "What?"
"Nothing," she giggles, "it was just so random."

"What colour would you go?" Dad questions. "Probably blonde," I shrug, "I'll finally have an excuse for all my dumb blonde moments."

"Ah excuse me, missy. Look at who you're talking to," Mom jokes, a smirk resting on her lips.

"Sorry, didn't mean to stereotype you. You're the smartest blonde I know," I assure you, patting her head with a shit-eating grin on my face.

When we get to the cafeteria, Dad goes over to save a table since it's a busy time of day whilst Mom and I go up to order something.

"Wow, their options suck," I state, looking at the very limited food choices. "It's a hospital, what did you expect?" She chuckles, rubbing her hand on my back firmly as she holds me close.

"True," I agree. "I'm just going to get the chicken salad."

Whilst I am going to eat, it doesn't mean I'm going to be adventurous with my choices so sticking to a salad seems like the safest way to go.

When I pick up the recyclable container that holds the food, I look underneath for the nutrition information but before I can even get a glance, Mom places her hand in the way and takes it from me with a knowing look.

I send her a glare before she picks something out for herself and Dad. After paying we make our way over to the table.

Mom rips the nutrition sticker off the bottom of my salad before passing it to me as well as a bottle of water.

"Thank you," I send her a small smile.

"Can we have a movie night when we get home?" I question hopefully. "As long as you don't make me watch all the Barbie movies, then absolutely," Dad jokes. My little sister has still not left her Barbie phase and she literally forces my parents to sit down and watch with her.