VI

[Lan Wangji's POV]

"I am sorry Wangji..." Lan Xichen bit his lips before telling his brother, "A-Xian is.... dead..."

The moment my brother broke that news to me, I was filled with despair. I stood up and dared fly to Yunmeng to see that the news was just a joke. I clashed with my clan's elders. Carried my sword and strummed the string of my guqin. Saw my father with a crestfallen face, my brother weeping as he help me get away, and my uncle, who ordered my return.

I flew on my sword desperately. Exhausted, worried, and in pain. I kept chanting safety—denying every single thought of my Wei Ying's death.

But what welcomed me was no longer the bustling lively pier. It was mourning and crying for a dead man. The water stilled, the animals lay silent on their own, the lively pier was filled with white, the scent of incense getting thicker.

The moment I step inside the pier, all eyes turned at me with disdain. Rotten eggs were thrown at me. The vendors with their knives pointing at me. Children crying and blaming me.

I ran... I ran as fast as I can. I ran my life out to reach the sect's manor.

However, it wasn't easy. YunmengJiang disciples pointed their swords at me. Lashed at me and shouted for me to leave. I left my sword at the entrance as I walk inside. I will never fight the sect my beloved protected. I will not raise my sword to those he held dear.

"Please... Let me.. see him.." I begged.

Maiden Jiang was the first one that met me. A hard slap landed on my face, I remember her dangerously uttering for me to get lost as she cried so hard. I kneeled in front of her. Begged her to grant me a chance. Last chance to see my love.

That's when Jiang Wanyin punches me. I fell to the ground, but I returned to my kneeling position. I let him punch me, kick me, and trash at me. I deserve this. I deserve everything that came at me.

Not until Zidian was wrapped around my neck. My vision turned to Madam Yu and the child in her arms. I moved forward in response to my crying child. But sharp blades finally stopped me. Sect Leader Jiang glared at me.

"Get out..."

"Please... Fathe—"

"GET OUT!" I swallowed back my words.

What came at me were arrows, blades, and an angry pier. The ever-pristine white of my uniform where dirtied. Words crashed down at me, lashing for whatever bent righteousness I had.

I have never been ashamed of being Lan like this.

For once, I detested my own family.

I kneeled outside the Jiang gate. I could careless than every word and threat threw at me. I knelt there with diligence, in woe-stricken grief I have never imagined I'd experience in my life.

It was the last night when Wen Ning took me in and allowed me to see my beloved.

"Ten minutes... They granted you ten minutes... After this... You need to leave..." Wen Ning told me.

The open casket displayed Wei Ying in white. He was as if sleeping soundly. His face was smiling and serene as if content with his life.

I reached for his hand and cried. I took off my forehead ribbon and wrapped it around his arm. I hummed the song for him and only him. My tears, fell as I kissed him for one last time.

Jiang Yanli stared at me when she entered. She watched me with hatred, "I want to kill you..." She said, "but I can't... I can't kill the man my brother loved in his entire life..."