Sleep

*Evie's P.O.V*

They said curiosity kills the cat which might very well be true. It was going to kill me with how curious I was. I wanted to know why Lady Dimitrescu was talking about how much I blushed. The question was eating away at me, it was terrible.

Cassandra and Bela seemed amused with me begging them to tell me why their mother was talking about me. They were the ones that said I was begging, not me. I didn't think I was begging but I suppose falling to my knees and grabbing onto their cloaks was a bit dramatic of me.

Daniela seemed less amused than them. She was just so giggly all the time. Every part of her life seemed to be something for her to laugh at. She apparently just came to cling to me, wrapping her arms around me and holding tightly.

When I finally managed to free myself from her embrace, which took about an hour of begging her to let me go and finally just morphing into the shadows to get away. The only reason I hadn't done it sooner was that I had honestly forgotten in the moment that I could do such a thing.

I couldn't be blamed for that though, I was not used to being touched. Daniela's clingy hug nearly sent me into fight or flight which sounded stupid but I was so unused to touch. All I could think about though was that Daniela's touch wasn't one that bothered me. I thought it would have but it was actually quite nice. Maybe that's why I didn't really try and get away for a while.

All I could think about was the fact that Lady Dimitrescu was always so gentle with her touches. I almost didn't realize how gentle her touch was compared to Daniela. It made me want to go find Lady Dimitrescu.

I didn't have to look far because I ran into her speaking with one of the maids. She seemed a bit upset for some reason so I didn't want to interrupt in case she got mad at me. When Lady Dimitrescu realized I was watching, she waved the maid away. The maid quickly left, almost seeming relieved.

"Hello darling," Lady Dimitrescu said softly.

"Hello Lady Dimitrescu," I replied evenly, my cheeks flushing slightly from the attention. I was going to throw myself off a ledge if I continued to blush from just how she was looking at me. I didn't even know why I was blushing so much.

"Are you alright?" Lady Dimitrescu asked, her gloved hand touching the top of my head. I flinched away in surprise, having been startled out of my own thoughts.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said simply. I was still trying to sort out my thoughts even now. I just couldn't get my thoughts to be in line, they seemed to want to be everywhere today.

"You look like you need a nap darling," Lady Dimitrescu said as she cupped my face, tilting my head up to look at her. Her thumb gently stroked my cheek gently and I found myself leaning into it despite not wanting to.

"No, I'm not tired at all," I muttered even though my eyes closed as soon as they could. I just considered it a long blink since I opened them again very quickly.

"Darling, you're zigzagging when you walk and nearly running into walls," Lady Dimitrescu said softly.

"I zigzag whenever I walk all the time," I muttered in my defense. I hadn't realized how tired I was until I had finally had a chance to stop. I guess I hadn't caught up on all of the sleep I had missed in the past few days in just one night.

"And the nearly running into walls?" Lady Dimitrescu asked.

"How would you know if I was nearly running into the walls?" I asked. "I haven't walked near any of them with you around," I muttered defensively.

"Darling, I know everything that goes on in this house," Lady Dimitrescu chuckled softly. My eyes closed again but it was just for a moment. Apparently too long of a moment since I heard her sigh before I was suddenly picked up.

I startled at the sudden feeling of being picked up and my eyes fluttered open. I tilted my head to stare up at Lady Dimitrescu who was a lot closer now that she had picked me up. I thought about trying to get her to put me down but my head was already resting on her shoulder now. Her dress was so soft against my cheek I just couldn't help myself.

"I'm not tired," I muttered, still trying to deny the fact that I could hardly keep my eyes open. Her hand moved to rest on the back of my head. Her fingers gently worked through my hair and I whined softly as I turned my head, liking the feeling but not wanting to admit it.

"Oh darling, you just need someone to care for you don't you?" Lady Dimitrescu asked. I shook my head just a little bit to show that I disagreed with her words. She chuckled softly as she carried me, hopefully back to my room.

I was wrong about going back to my room though because Lady Dimitrescu brought me back to her room. I curled up on her bed when she laid me down, feeling the blanket being pulled up to my chin.

"How come you talk about how much I blush?" I asked quietly, my eyes closed. I didn't want to even attempt to stay up any longer, I just felt so tired.

"Who told you I do that?" Lady Dimitrescu asked, sounding amused.

"The girls," I answered, making her sigh.

"Because you are adorable," Lady Dimitrescu answered before falling silent. If she said anything else I didn't hear it since I was already lost in my own mind. I was trying to figure out why I blushed around her so much and belatedly realized something. Lady Dimitrescu was the first person ever to show me any maternal care. The thought hit me like a ton of bricks and rather than dealing with my own emotions healthily, I decided to just fall asleep.