Observatory

*Evie's P.O.V*

Bela reads to me, her voice soft and quiet. She keeps glancing at me, as if double checking that I'm entertained by her reading. I smile whenever she does that, happy that she cares about what I think. She has chosen a book about a prince and a princess, something that only kind of entertains me. I like stories about female knights and princesses. Those were much more fun.

"Evie," Bela whispers, making me look at her. Had she heard my thoughts? My eyes narrow as I look at her suspiciously, wondering if she was going to say anything about my super secret thoughts.

"What?" I ask when Bela doesn't say anything else, wondering why she had said my name. Maybe it was fun to say names? I would have to try it out later with Mommy.

"Do you want to come see something special?" Bela asks, making me nod my head quickly. She gets up, lifting me up in her arms. I don't mind being carried, it's actually quite nice in my opinion! She seems to be an expert on carrying me, like she's carried someone likes this before. My bets Dani, she seemed like the one who would ask to be carried. I don't think Cassandra would ever like to be carried about.

Bela carries me up to the upper floors of the house, the ones I never went to because they were locked super tightly and plus I did not want to be caught by Mommy snooping. Something told me that I wouldn't enjoy being in her presence anymore if she caught me in the locked rooms without permission.

Bela unlocks one of the doors with a little golden key, the key on a bracelet that was around her wrist. I hadn't seen it and it was clear why, it was always hidden under sleeves. I wonder how much jewelry they have that I don't get to see. It wasn't very nice of them to keep secrets from me.

Bela opens the door, revealing a completely domed in glass room. My eyes when I see the telescope are so wide that I hear Bela chuckle as she sets me down.

"Observatory," I say, pointing at the entire room. I don't know if she gets my point so I wildly point at anything and everything in the room.

"Yes, it is an observatory. This is where I go to escape my thoughts," Bela says as she sits down on the floor, patting the spot next to her. I plop down next to her, a small smile on my lips as I look at her.

"What you escape here? My thoughts always there, always pounding," I inform her, earning a soft smile from her.

"So are mine, most of the time. I've just started ignoring them over the years. If you block them out long enough, it's like they never existed," Bela informs me, making me pout slightly.

"Bela deserves happiness, not thoughts," I say, struggling with my words since I rarely say things like this. It wasn't like me to be so nice, I liked being rude most of the time. Never to Bela though, or Mommy or Dani. I could be rude to Cass, she would just be mean back to me.

"Thank you for saying that Evie but I'm not really sure that's true," Bela says. I reach up to pat her cheek, trying to comfort her. She lets me do that for a bit before pulling my hand away and giving it a kiss. I giggle at the kiss, a small smile on my lips.

"Bela," I say, making her raise an eyebrow.

"What? What are you so giggly for?" Bela asks, her eyebrows furrowed. I shake my head, not wanting to tell her that affection always made me happy and when I was happy I was giggly. That's just how my brain worked.

"Not going to tell me? So mean of you to keep secrets Evie," Bela teases, making me giggle even more. She lifts me up, falling back onto her back as she holds me in the air. I squeal slightly, not used to being held like this "I'll drop you if you don't tell me your secrets," she playfully threatens.

"I never tell," I say, squealing when Bela lowers me down before pushing me back up in the air. I squeal in protest, trying to escape her hold.

"Tell me," Bela says.

"Nu uh! I never tell you or Dani or Cass," I say, making Bela raise an eyebrow.

"Dani and Cass? Nicknames already," Bela teases, making me whine.

"I not supposed to?" I ask with a small pout, worried that they would be upset with me. Bela sits up, sitting me down in front of her.

"I guarantee you that neither Cassandra or Daniela will care," Bela says softly as she smiles, making me nod my head after a moment. If she was sure then I would keep calling them by their nicknames.

"You need one," I inform her, making her raise an eyebrow slightly.

"I do?" she asks with a slightly amused smile, making me nod my head slightly.

"Can't think of one though," I admit sadly, a little sad that I wasn't able to come up with a nickname.

"My name is four letters, I don't think I need a nickname Evie," Bela says, making me pout.

"But..." I pout, not able to finish my thoughts or my protests as she gets up, pulling me up with her.

"You don't have a nickname Evie. Not everyone needs a nickname," Bela assures me, making me lower my head.

"Just wanted to give you one," I say softly, making her sigh.

"We'll think of one in a bit. Do you want to look out my telescope?" Bela offers, making me nod my head quickly. She chuckles as she adjusts the telescope, letting me look out of it after a moment. I had never used a telescope before! I just knew that they were pretty and that they looked up at the sky, two things that I liked.

"So cool," I say as Bela starts pointing out the stars, carefully guiding the telescope to let me see them.