Nail polish

*Evie's P.O.V*

Something had to be wrong with me. Ever since Lady Dimitrescu had held me and comforted me, I had felt these childish urges that seemed to plague my mind. I found myself sitting in the forest most days, watching over my old town and seeing familiar faces that I sort of wished were dead. It was a horrible thing, to wish death on someone but they had left me for dead with Mother Miranda so I didn't feel too bad.

I found myself wishing that I could have just been normal when I was a child. If I hadn't stood out so much, if I hadn't drawn unwanted attention to myself then perhaps things would have been fine. I thought things were different when I was older but I was still the same person, their words and actions still burned me to this day.

My mind started to wander back to my childhood. I had spent most of it playing in the streets of the town. Usually I found a ball to bounce or a book to read to keep myself occupied. Occasionally I would sit outside in the sun and paint my nails. Always bright colors, fun colors as I used to call them since my parents had almost no color in their house.

I turned my head slightly as Lei landed beside me, flapping her wings as she settled down on the branch. She was never really graceful but I wouldn't be either so I couldn't blame her. She let out a small caw as she looked at me with her beady black eyes.

"Want a job to do?" I asked, making Lei tilt her head as she hopped closer. "Can you go find some nail polish?" I questioned. Lei let out a small clicking noise as she held out a talon.

I huffed as I realized what she wanted and took off a small bracelet I had started wearing just for her. It was a bracelet made of string and I had wrapped shiny pebbles into the string to make it easier to carry around. I had to mess around with the bracelet for a bit to free a pebble and as soon as I freed it, I dropped it. I groaned as I just went ahead and started walking on another, being more careful.

"I don't know why I have to pay you for you to steal something," I huffed as I freed the shiny blue pebble and held it out to her. Lei clicked her beak for a moment before picking up the stone from my hand, taking off with it. She would go hide it and then go do her job.

Most of the stuff she found, I'm pretty sure she just stole. I was fine with that though, birds didn't have to follow laws and it's not like I commanded her to steal for me so legally I was pretty sure I was in the clear. Also I don't think they prosecute blood drinking immortal beings got prosecuted by the law but I wasn't totally sure on that.

I continued to sit on the tree, listening to the townspeople talk for a while. They were so boring, their conversations weren't exciting at all. I think they would have sounded better if they were bleeding out on the ground. I shook my head, clearing the bloodlust that had suddenly taken a hold of me. I would have to drink soon or else I would continue to be plagued by these terrible thoughts.

My attention was drawn to Lei when she landed in front of me, the click of glass on wood was mainly what caught my attention. She set the nail polish down, hopping away as I picked it up.

"Nice Lei, have you ever considered robbing banks? You could get very rich being a robber crow," I informed the bird who tilted her head slightly before making a harsh noise at the back of her throat. Almost like she was laughing at my words. She was a strange little bird sometimes.

I picked up the bottle of nail polish, noticing it was a light pink color. I hummed softly as I twisted the lid off, studying the color in the light. I applied it to my nails, finding that I didn't care if it looked bad or sloppy at the moment. This was to satisfy the childish urge I had so it was okay if it was messy. Children were always messy with stuff like nail polish or paint.

I giggled slightly as I imagined how Lady Dimitrescu reacting to paint being spilled all over her fancy rugs. She would probably be furious but you couldn't yell at a child. Well you could but then they would cry and that was probably worse than them being messy. For me that would be worse, I hated loud noises. I always had but now I especially hated them with how sensitive my hearing was.

Lei let out a soft cawing noise and I looked to her, seeing she was holding out a talon towards me. "Can I help you?" I asked as she let out another caw. It took me a little bit to understand what she wanted since I didn't speak crow but I quickly realized that she wanted me to paint her talons.

I sighed as I held out my hand and she hopped into it, standing there as I lifted her up. I carefully applied a bit of the polish to the end of her talons. She let out a content noise as I did it, seeming quite proud she had got her way.

"You're almost as annoying as Mother Miranda," I said, which was the wrong thing to say because she immediately started flying around me, trying to peck at my eyes and face. I giggled as she did that, curling up to hide my face. "Okay, okay. I take it back Lei, I'm sorry," I managed to get out as she perched on my head, pecking at my hair. I huffed as I realized that she was getting nail polish on my hair and just let her sit there in case she tried to attack me again.