Late

*Evie's P.O.V*

I had spent almost the rest of the day with Lei. She enjoyed my company and seeing the strength start to return to her was refreshing. I was so worried that she would continue to be ill but she had gathered enough strength to stand up. She also had enough strength to peck me until she got what she wanted. It was a silver pebble with streaks of black running through it. I was quite fond of it but she demanded it with her caws of annoyance.

Why I was paying her with a pebble when she wasn't even doing a job for me, I didn't quite know. I just did it to appease her. If it kept her happy and not attacking my hands then clearly we had a good understanding. She tried to steal another one from my bracelet but I distracted her by pointing out that Mother Miranda had much shinier stuff and wouldn't it be fun to take that from her?

I had left the chapel after leaving Lei with that thought. I figured that sooner or later she would be coming home with something of Mother Miranda's. It was only a matter of time since the idea had been planted and would continue to grow over time. If you couldn't use your crow for a bit of annoying people and stealing, why would you even have a crow?

It was late when I started my way back to Castle Dimitrescu. The sun had set and it was now quite dark. The shadows grew long as I kept walking but I couldn't shadow travel. I had exhausted my power with how much I had shadow traveled today.

I could feel the wind whipping against my face, my black hair being covered with snowflakes. I could feel the chill in the air although it didn't bother me. It was just cold, something I could acknowledge and just keep going. I wondered how cold it would have to be to affect me, if there was even a place cold enough to affect me.

I heard snow crunching behind me, far off in the distance. I tilted my head, the noise suddenly stopping. I rolled my eyes as I kept walking, hearing the noise start again. I ducked behind a tree. I held my breath, listening to the noise get closer and closer. All of a sudden it was right next to me.

I turned my head, seeing one of Heisenberg's lycans sitting there. I rolled my eyes as I let out the breath I was holding. Some of the lycans were more animalistic since their Cadou had been mixed with an animal. This was one was not one of those. He was human almost if you discounted the greenish skin he had. The shaggy hair could just be him not watching it.

"Does Uriaș know you have strayed so far?" I asked. He was the main lycan around the outskirts of the village, kind of the boss. The lycan grunted, eyeing me with his dark eyes. "I'll take that as a no," I said.

I kept walking, the lycan following me. Lycans were rather aggressive creatures when they chose to be. Only towards humans or other lycans most usually. They seemed intimidated by people like Lady Dimitrescu or Mother Miranda. Even saying their names would cause the lycans to cower away, looking around in fear. They feared Lady Beneviento even more though, her name would cause them to run off on all fours to get away.

I continued walking to Castle Dimitrescu, the lycan eventually shying away once we were close to the castle. I entered through the gates, snow falling onto my hair when I pushed it open. I shook it off as I went towards the front door and opened it slowly. I stepped inside after a moment, closing the door quickly.

The main room was dark, like someone had turned off the power. I frowned at that as I went towards the stairs, squeaking when the lights flickered on. It was very sudden and my eyes took a moment to adjust. I shivered slightly when I saw Lady Dimitrescu standing at the top of the stairs.

"You did not say you were leaving," Lady Dimitrescu said. Her voice was cold and I was under no false illusion of her being pleased with me. I felt oddly defensive since it really wasn't her concern what I had been doing.

"I was with Mother Miranda if you must know," I stated. I didn't feel like I had to answer her but I did anyway. I just chose to answer very vaguely rather than give her any information that she wanted.

"Why?" Lady Dimitrescu asked. She made her way down the steps and I watched her walk down the steps. I stepped back, watching her with narrowed eyes. It wasn't like I had to answer, any answer was one I had to choose to give.

"My bird was sick," I said simply.

"And so you took it Miranda?" Lady Dimitrescu seemed intrigued. Like it was surprising that I had gone to Mother Miranda.

"No. She went to Mother Miranda and Mother Miranda sent me a letter today," I stated as I moved to go past her. She rested her hand on my shoulder, keeping me from moving. I looked up and into Lady Dimitrescu's golden eyes.

"You would be wise to remember that Mother Miranda is not kind," Lady Dimitrescu said. Her eyes seemed to glow and I realized she was oddly possessive of me.

"Most could say the same about you," I stated after a moment, jerking away from her and hurrying up the stairs. I heard Lady Dimitrescu suck in a breath and heard her try to say something but I was too fast. I ran up the steps and headed to my room.

I collapsed onto my bed, letting out a breath of relief. I was so so so screwed. It had been fun though. Talking back was exhilarating and it left me feeling excited. I would have to try and do it more often if I lived through this instance of doing it.