22 - safe place

- Sora PoV -

Brushing my wet hair after my shower, I think about how it's finally my time to be happy.

My brother is coming home tomorrow, my dream of getting a lung transplant and living longer has come true, and now I get to be with someone I love.

My stomach fills up with butterflies thinking about the kiss I shared with Jungwon.

Instant flashbacks of his wet hair and his pink, plumped lips...I squeal and start kicking my legs.

I feel like I'm dreaming...

Should I go over and visit him? I haven't seen Auntie and Jaewon in 3 months... Would it be awkward? Weird?

I walk out of my room and look around the empty, dark apartment... Even though Halmeoni was basically an enemy of mines, the apartment feels so lifeless.

Maybe it will shine once Sunoo gets here...

Standing outside Jungwon's apartment door, I'm a bit hesitant. 

Will I see the bright-eyed, beautiful woman who welcomed me with open arms? And behind her is her slightly snobby daughter but charming son? Her husband who was dorky but meant well?

Will they welcome me again?

I ring the door bell but no answer.

I just saw Jungwon 20 minutes ago...

Is there something wrong?

I happen to pull on the door handle to find out the door is open. That's weird...

When I walk in, it's dark... I thought I left my apartment. What am I doing back here?

I imagined walking into smiling faces but instead I see Jungwon sitting on the floor looking into the abyss.

"Oh," Jungwon quickly wipes his tears and stands up. "Sora..." he puts on a painful smile.

"Jungwon," I softly say searching his face as I cup his cheek with my hand.

His eyes are red, and his "smiley" lips are trembling. 

His smile faded quickly as tears starts to stream down his face. He places his head on the side of my neck and starts to sob uncontrollably.

I wrap my arms around him comforting him, but I'm also trying to figure out what's happening.

Both uncle, auntie, and Jaewon aren't here...

Don't tell me...

"They died... trying to save me," Jungwon softly cries. "For me."

I can tell he's holding back...

I softly rub his back, "Let it out," I say making him sob.

He's all alone here... in the dark... physically and mentally. 

I think back to the day when I first entered unit 315. The room was bright not because of the yellow/golden hue of the ceiling lights, but because of Auntie's smile.

She was the first warm hug I've received  since my parents passing. It was a feeling I haven't felt in forever, and she was the one who gave it to me without hesitation.

And even though Jungwon arrived late, he looked happy because everyone else was.

He got his warmth from his mom. The radiance and the effortless bloom of sincerity. 

Despite all that we went through, it's odd to see this sunshine quickly turn into a dark cloud. 

What makes it worse was that before I even came in, he was here suffering by himself. The last thing I would want him to feel is that he's in this world alone... I know how that feels all too well.