chapter 3: friday stabathon

The three girls were video-chatting. It was a Friday night. Usually, they would be at a party hosted by one of their friends but it wouldn't be fun if one of them wasn't there.

Tara, Amber, Y/N, Wes, Liv, and the twins, Chad and Mindy were all friends and always had fun together. But everyone knew no one could come between the trio.

Tara, Amber, and Y/N have known each other since they were kids. Amber had punched a boy that pulled on Tara's pigtails. A year later, Y/N had shared her cookies with them since her mom always made too many. Since then, they've been attached to the hip.

They then met the others much later at different points. Amber met Liv in detention, she was caught smoking in the back of the school and Liv was seen sticking her gum under the table.

Tara met Wes at church, she forgot how they became friends but the others like to tease that it's because he had a crush on her ever since.

Y/N met Mindy at the library when she spoke about the Shirley Jackson book Mindy was picking out. Chad was just part of the package.

Even though they all had different personalities, they somehow meshed well. They even made their own spot at the picnic tables under that one tree that no one else took. That was theirs to come together.

Now, Y/N and Amber were a completely different story. They had been best friends for the longest time but at some point, it became rocky. During one of the parties that the Twins hosted, Amber and Y/N had become pretty drunk.
While they were giggling and joking, Amber had slowly leaned in without realizing and Y/N did too. They've been dating for almost two years now.

"Tara, you should come overrrr. It's Friday and your mom isn't home," Y/N whined as she stretched, practically rolling over onto Amber.

The two girls were at Amber's house, the tv playing in the background at a low volume.

"Exactly. You just made my point," Tara hummed as she stirred the pot of pasta she was cooking, "You two should come over."

"Hmm...I dunno, your house is kinda far," Amber added.

Tara scoffed, thinking how unbelievably lazy her friends were being.

"It's like a ten minute drive."

"Maybe convince us?"

"I'm making pasta and there's an unlocked liquor cabinet."

Tara continued stirring, wishing her friends could smell through her laptop. Maybe then they'd already be driving over here.

"Okay, you had me at unlocked liquor cabinet."

Y/N shook Amber's arm, grinning at the mention of alcohol.

Both girls sat up, about to get ready to head over to Tara's when the other girl's telephone rang. It made Tara jump a little. They rarely got any calls so that made her wonder who could it be.

"You guys still have that landline?" Y/N asked, sitting crisscrossed.

She rocked back and forth in place. She was agitated, wanting to have an ounce of alcohol in her system already.

"Yeah, I don't know why either..."
Tara answered as she walked over to press the decline button.
"It's like my mom is still stuck in the 90's."

She was midway back to the counter when the landline rung again.

Tara huffed. She turned back to her friends, annoyed.

"I'll be back, guys. Give me a minute."

Her friends gave her half smiles before the young Carpenter walked back to answer the phone. The two had their own conversation as they waited.