chapter 4: the call

Modesto, California

Outside the bowling alley, the woman slumped onto the concrete steps, exhausted after yet another long shift.

She rubbed her aching feet and let out a deep sigh, wondering how she would manage to pay for her rent and medication with her meager wages.

Reaching into her pocket, she fished out a small pill bottle. The pills inside helped to calm her anxiety and the disturbing visions that had been plaguing her lately. She popped two of them into her mouth and washed them down with an energy drink.

As she leaned back against the wall, her boyfriend emerged from inside to keep her company.

"Hey there, beautiful," he said with a grin.

She whipped around to look up at him.

"Don't call me that," she said, trying to sound annoyed, but a small smile crept onto her face nonetheless.

Chuckling, he leaned down to meet her eye level. She pulled him closer by the collar of his shirt and gave him a passionate kiss. He stroked her hair lovingly, smiling into the kiss.

When he finally took a seat beside her, her phone began to ring. She looked at the number and furrowed her brow in confusion. She didn't recognize it.

She tapped the decline button. Her phone rang again just as she was about to resume chatting to her boyfriend. It must be important if this person wanted to reach her so bad. This time she answered.

"Sam?"

The voice was softer than a whisper against the background of what sounded like a restaurant. It was rather loud.

The older girl recognized the sound of the voice, but she wasn't sure who it belonged to.

"Wait, Y/N?" Sam questioned, worried about the younger girl's motives for phoning.

In the five years after she left Woodsboro, she had heard nothing from anybody back home. So, she found this phone call to be peculiar.

"Yeah, it's me."

Not wanting her boyfriend to overhear, Sam got up and moved a few feet away.

"What's up?"

"It's about Tara. She umm.."

Sam couldn't get a full breath in.

"Woah, what about Tara? Is she okay?"

Getting the news out was hard enough for the younger girl but she did it anyway.

"She was attacked."

Sam's heart dropped. She felt sick to her stomach, her grip tightening on her phone as she tried to fight her sudden anger.

"Wha-"

"She went through surgery yesterday and just woke up. She's fine now. I know you guys aren't on good terms but..."

Sam quickly cut her off.

"No, I'm going over there."

"Alright. See you then."

"Wait, Y/N," Sam paused, "Do they know who did it?"

"Umm.."

Y/N's voice trailed off, mixing in with the background noise.

"Maybe it's best you came in person."

"Y/N..."

Sam's voice shook with emotion. She demanded to know.

"Please, just tell me. Who did this to Tara?"

Hesitantly, Y/N answered, "It was someone in a Ghostface mask."