Chapter 19

Josh's POV:

"Hey, mum." I smiled as she entered the room.

"Hey, Joshy. The nurse said, you were hungry. Dad's gone to get you some sausage rolls." She told me.

"Thank you." My mum's calm demeanour made me feel a little less worried. Whatever had happened wasn't too serious.

"Knock knock." A man in a doctor's coat said cheerily, also coming into my room.

"Hey, are you the doctor? The nurse told me you could tell me what happened." I said.

"I'm doctor Abrams. You had a manic episode, quite a severe one. You were brought in because you were experiencing delusions, and your speech was abnormal. We're not admitting you, but we are changing your medication. I'm sorry, I'm aware it's been adjusted a lot lately. But even your demeanour now tells me it's helped." He informed me.

I should've known I was in an episode when I was so happy. I always mistake it for me getting better.

"What have you given me?" I asked.

"We've taken you off of citalopram, which I know worries you because of last time, but you're not being put on an antipsychotic. This time, it'll be a mood stabiliser called lithium. The SSRIs were only treating the depression, not the mania. This should close the gap between your emotional ranges. Lithium can be taken with your lorazepam." He told me.

"I don't really feel one way or the other right now. Is that because of the lithium?" I asked.

"Yes, but you should notice it's a different feeling to the flatness citalopram can cause." He explained.

"Yeah, I don't feel numb, just neutral." I nodded.

"That's a fantastic sign, Josh. It can be a difficult process finding medication for bipolar, but I think we've got it right now. Hopefully, you'll notice an improvement." He smiled.