Double Family

VERITY'S POV
~_______~_______~

I went upstairs and was on my phone for the time being. The next two hours I sketched, called my friend group, and just chilled.

I knew my father sent me upstairs because it was mafia business. I was curious who he was meeting, but I didn't take the risk to go downstairs.

As of right now, it was 8:15. Meaning I had about 35 minutes before Derek comes and picks me up for the fight. I was picking out an outfit that would be easy for me to fight in but also look nice.

That was until I heard a loud BANG as if somebody fell or got tackled, and yelling.

I ran down the stairs and was met with a horrid sight.

There my biological sperm donor was on top of my dad, Mikael, hitting him and throwing punches. Some of my biological brothers were trying to get them off each other while the others fought Maxim, Andrei, and Alexei. My twin was standing in the corner, not taking part to which I was grateful for. My birthgiver was yelling with my mom, Mikael's wife- who I hadn't seen for a while since she was in Russia- to stop fighting.

"Stop." I said, but nobody heard. "STOP!!!" I screamed this time, my voice ricocheting off the walls.

Everybody stopped and looked towards me.

"What is the meaning of this?!" I spat.

Everybody quickly clambered up to their feet.

"Verity, dear I told you to stay upsta-" Francesco started in a hoarse voice but I cut him off.

"Dad, explain what the fuck is happening here." I snarled.

"You see, Ve-" I cut Francesco off again, sending him an glare.

"Not you. I'm talking to him." I pointed to Mikael.

Francesco's eyes held hurt that he didn't even try to hide.

"He is not your dad, Verity. I am." He said, his voice now quiet.

"You are my father by blood, yes. But that doesn't mean that I will ever call you that, especially after this little incident. Mikael here raised me, treated me as his own when you weren't there. After you apologized this morning, I really thought that there was a chance I could trust you guys or .." I sighed, cutting myself off this time. "Whatever. You lied to me, said this was a business meeting. Obviously, it isn't."

"Verity, I'll explain to you. Just.. don't interrupt me." Mikael said and I shot him a glare to which he sent an apologetic look back.

I looked over to Anya (Mikaels wife) and gave her a hug. She had raised me as well alongside her sons, treating me as the daughter she never had. She had been in Russia the past few months with her brother, Dimitri, who had been admitted in the hospital due to heart problems.

"Hi mom." I muttered.  "Is Uncle Dimitri okay?? Is he out the hospital?" I asked, referring to the reason she had to go away to Russia for so long.

Out the corner of my eye, my biologicals looked surprised.

Maybe it was because I used such a soft tone with Anya. Maybe it was because I hugged her, something I barely did to anybody. Maybe it was the soft smile I sent her or the look of motherly love she had in her eyes. Maybe it was the way my voice and eyes and mood changed when I was talking to her and the way that I did not hesitate to have physical touch with her.