Second Best

NICOLAS POV
~_______~_______~

The second my eyes met the green ones across the fighting arena, I knew exactly who it was.

I had seen her at the mall with the damn Italians. I had seen her at school, she decided to sit in my seat and had the nerves to ignore me after she found out it was my seat that she sat in.

I only knew her first name. Verity. I didn't know her last name. I have heard people talk about her- the new girl. The girl who supposedly comes to school with the stupid Italians.  What did she mean to them and why the hell did it piss me off so much?

She was so captivating, it was crazy. I often caught myself staring at her. Especially her eyes. They were a shade of green so peculiar and it was as if I had never seen green eyes before until I looked into hers.

The last thing I expected was to see this harmless, innocent-looking girl at an illegal underground fighting arena. Of course, her face was covered mostly by a bandana looking mask but her eyes are something that is constantly on my mind, so of course I would recognize them.

Does she not realize the dangers of this place? Is she going to fight?

My friend caught me staring at her and went to talk to the "ref" suddenly, but I didn't pay much mind to what he was doing.

After a few matches, my fight name - 'Blade' was called up.

"And now we have one of our best undefeated fighters, the man you would hate to be on the bad side of.. his name makes people cower in their seats... we haveeeee....bllllAAAADDEEEE!!" Yelled out the ref.

The crowd's loud roars brought a smirk to my face as I stepped into the ring and wrapped my hands, people yelling my name and it brought me so much confidence- it practically made me feel as if I was being worshipped.

"And against our infamous Blade.. is-" the ref paused for a moment when a man came running up to him, whispering something in his ear.

"What? Really? They're here tonight?" The ref asked, surprised and I couldn't help but be curious.

"Okay.. uhm.. up against our infamous Blade is...the undefeated champion- the person you would hate to cross.. we have...H-Heaven.."

My heart dropped.

My best friend looked at me with a shocked face and furrowed eyebrows, as if he regretted something, clearly knowing something that I didn't.

The once booming crowd went silent for a few long seconds before they started an uproar, their yells deafening as they practically screamed for the #1 assassin and underground fighter to step into the arena.

I tried to act unbothered as I continued to wrap my hands until perfection.

I looked up and my heart dropped once again, all the way down to my stomach and my mind raced with millions of questions.

I had expected a large, buff man to be Heaven. A man with scars on his face, probably in his late 20's. I expected him to be tall and intimidating but I didn't expect this.

Standing in front of me was a short girl with captivating green eyes and perfectly wrapped hands, her stance and form also perfect. Everything about her was just perfect.

Standing in front of me was the girl who took up so much of my mind lately. The girl who made me feel oh so curious, the girl who made me feel something weird and the girl who wrapped me around her fucking finger without even realizing it.

Standing in front of me was Verity. The girl who's last name was a mystery to me. The girl who was a mystery to me.

She scanned the booming crowd before they paused for a split second, nodding distinctively in somebody's direction before she looked at me.

She scanned my face, surprise flashing in her eyes before it was covered up. My eyes met hers and my stomach felt queasy. An unknown feeling ran through me, causing me to slightly shiver.

Was she really Heaven? Could the girl who practically never left my mind, the girl I thought looked innocent, be the #1 assassin and underground fighter?

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

She broke eye contact and scanned my body next. Her eyes fell on my tatted arms that I was flexing before they landed on a specific tattoo that made her eyes slightly widen.

On my forearm was a tattoo of an Ace of Spades, where in the middle of the card was an blade. From where the blade stabbed the card, blood seeped through and wrapped around the card, engulfing it in the blood and would never let go - because no matter what you do, no matter how much you scrub the blood will forever leave a stain.

Where the blade is shot, in the middle of the Ace of Spades is where my first bullet wound ever was. The one I got when I was only 12.

Verity's eyes widened slightly and realization flashed through her face. She most likely realized who I was due to the fact the Ace of Spades symbolized my mafia in the underground world, the blade finalizing who exactly I was. Nicolas Ricci. Don of the Spanish Mafia. Blade. Second best assassin in the underworld.

Second best.

God, who would think that I'd be captivated by the person I'm supposed to hate for taking my spot in first place?

Verity raised an eyebrow at me and I realized I was shamelessly staring at her.

Amusement flashed through me and I gave her a stupid grin. She rolled her eyes and we both got into a fighting stance.

I'm not going to underestimate or go easy on her. I was worried I'd hurt her, but all the same I was worried how badly I would get hurt.

I mean, she had to be the best of the best for a reason, right?
__________________________________Word Count: 923

Literally died making this because it was like 4:00A.M. And my brain wasn't functioning right, so I apologize if some parts are weird or don't make sense or I went off topic more than once lmfao

STAY HYDRATED LOVELIES, EAT, AND GET REST!!  Go to SLEEP😭

MAKE SURE TO COMMENT & VOTE:)