𝒐. summer past

𝒐. summer past
━━━━━━━━━━━━
ellie fisher 𝒙 belly conklin

❝ i think we could do it if we tried,if only to say you're mine

i think we could do it if we tried,
if only to say you're mine.
- sofia,, clairo

(pre-season 1)

word count; 700+

THE SUMMER BEFORE...

THE WORST THING ABOUT summer is that it ends.

Ellie hates having to say goodbye to her friends each year before they go their separate ways. If she had it her way, she'd get to see them all everyday. However, she supposes what makes these summer's so magical in the first place is the fact that they don't last. Even though that sounds ridiculous. The fact that she only gets to see Belly for about two or three months each year, makes them precious.

It still hurts, though.

"Well," Belly cuts into the painful silence, scratching the back of her neck nervously. "I guess I should head downstairs now. Steven told me to bring my stuff down, like, fifteen minutes ago, so . . . ."

Pressing her lips together, Ellie begins nodding, sucking in a breath. "Yeah, I, uh, I guess so," she agrees, glancing up at her best friend. "I'm going to miss you. A lot."

Belly pushes her glasses up, taking a step forward as she smiles. "I'm going to miss you too," she says, wrapping her arms around Ellie to pull her in for a tight hug. "A lot."

"I hate this," Ellie states, letting out a sigh as her arms loop around Belly's waist, breathing in the comforting scent of her best friend. "Saying goodbye is the worst."

"I know," Belly replies, hands tracing up Ellie's back, over her shoulders and neck so she's now cupping her face. The brunette girl pulls the blonde away a little, changing their position so they're face to face. "At least we have next summer. And the summer after that, and the summer after that."

Ellie laughs, keeping her gaze locked on Belly's, heartbeat picking up from their closeness. "Yeah."

The two keep eye contact for far too long to be normal, and Ellie has to keep herself from nervously jumping away. Belly tucks a loose strand of Ellie's hair behind her ear, smiling softly. Ellie's arms become a little more relaxed as she brings her hands so they're resting on Belly's waist. Both are already so close, that neither one of them has to lean in further. All they have to do is tilt their heads. So, Ellie begins to turn hers, surprised and glad when Belly starts doing the same. It's weirdly intense between the two, and Ellie wonders if Belly can feel how hard her heart is beating right now.

Ellie begins to shut her eyes, ready for the kiss she's been waiting for since forever.

BEEP! BEEP! BEEEEEEEP!

Both girls jump apart, surprised by the sudden noise. Their heads both whip to Belly's bedroom's window, then back at one another. Ellie clears her throat awkwardly, face flushing as Belly strides over to the other side of the room. The brunette girl shoves the window open, and peaks her head out to see what the commotion is.

"Hurry up!" Steven yells from down below, a clear annoyance to his voice which indicates just how long the two have been delaying this goodbye. "What on earth is taking you so long?"

Belly rolls her eyes. "I'll be right down, Steven. Calm down!" Then, angrily, she shuts the window.

Brushing off her hands on her pants, Belly turns around, swallowing thickly as she awkwardly smiles at Ellie. "Well," she begins, gesturing to her packed bags, then to the window. "I guess I should get going."

Ellie nods. "Yeah, um, okay."

"Yeah," Belly echoes quietly, pulling her backpack over her shoulder and then carrying her other bag in her hand. Her eyes flicker to Ellie's, only to immediately dart away when she finds the blonde already looking back at her. The Conklin girl opens her bedroom door, turning briefly without making eye contact. "Bye."

Then, before Ellie has a chance to respond, Belly's heading out into the hall, and down the stairs.

"What the hell," Ellie mutters, rubbing the side of her face as she stares off into the empty space that once occupied her best friend.

author's note!
i know this prologue is rlly short but i didn't feel like it fit into the first chapter, so i decided to put it here :) & ik ppl hate prologues so i figured i would make it short.

i hope u enjoy their story <3