𝒙𝒗𝒊. summer tension

𝒙𝒗𝒊. summer tension
━━━━━━━━━━━━
ellie fisher 𝒙 belly conklin

 summer tension━━━━━━━━━━━━❛ ellie fisher 𝒙 belly conklin ❜

we say we're friends, but i'm catching
you across the room. it makes no sense
cause we're fighting over what we do.
- that way,, tate mcrae

(season 1 episode 7)

word count; 2,500+

    WHEN ELLIE WAKES UP on the day of her birthday, it's because her mom bursts into her room, radiating happiness, as she always does. Today Susannah dawns a brightly coloured top with a pair of jeans, her hair down. Even when she wears casual clothing, she looks like she could star in a movie. Ellie startles a bit, rubbing her eyes tiredly as Susannah takes a seat next to her on her bed. "Morning, my love," she says before bowing her head down to press a kiss to Ellie's temple. "And, happy sweet sixteen."

    Pursing her lips in an attempt at a smile, Ellie nods, taking the orange juice her mom holds out for her. "Thanks, Mom," Ellie replies, taking a sip. "How long do we have before we need to be at the Country Club?"

    "We have a little while," Susannah says, reaching out to carefully tuck a lock of Ellie's hair behind her ear. "You're absolutely gorgeous, Ella." She pinches her cheek, placing her hands in her lap where a little velvet box rests. "I woke Belly up, she's pretty nervous."

    "I am too," Ellie states, wrapping her arms around her stomach. All she wants is for this day to be over. Not only will she be paraded around like she's on auction but she'll have to spend the whole day with Belly. Which was something she was getting pretty good at avoiding. But today it's completely impossible to ward off, so the sooner it's all over the better. She never minds doing something for her mom, especially not this considering it means so much to her, but today it feels so much harder. Today, on her birthday, she'd like to at least have a little bit of fun.

    "Are you okay, sweetheart?" Susannah asks, knocking her index finger under Ellie's chin so she looks up. "Seriously."

    "I'm fine," Ellie lies. She wishes she could tell her mom everything that's been happening, but she can't.

    "Well, I have something for you," Susannah says, looking a bit like she doesn't believe Ellie when she says she's okay. Nevertheless, she picks up the velvet box, and holds it out for her daughter with a giant smile on her face. "Your birthday present." Carefully, Ellie takes the box and lifts the lid, smiling when she sees what's inside. Before her mother says what they are, Ellie already knows. "These are the pearls I got for my sweet sixteen. Just like the kind I got for Belly. I thought my girl should have the originals."