𝒙𝒊𝒊. summer road trips

━━━━━━━━━━━━
ellie fisher 𝒙 belly conklin

❝ why the fuss if you say you just wannabe mine? i can't read your mind

why the fuss if you say you just wanna
be mine? i can't read your mind.
- read your mind,, sabrina carpenter

(season 1 episode 5)

word count; 5,500+

    TODAY IS THE DAY of the kid's annual roadtrip. They used to go with their parents, but ever since Conrad learned how to drive, it's just been the kids going alone. Usually, Ellie counts down the days until their roadtrip. Today, however, she really wishes she had some excuse to pull, however unfortunately she doesn't and Jeremiah is insistent that everyone come. So, there Ellie is, stepping outside, deep frown on her face and beach bag over her shoulder. Ever since they were babies they've been doing this little trip. They drive out to this abandoned parking lot that has a trail next to it and they hike to a waterfall. It used to feel so far away from Cousins, but really it's just a little bit outside of town. They always pack a picnic and make a day out of it. By the time they get home it's usually pitch black out.

    "Come on, guys!" Jeremiah shouts, he reaches into the Cassidy family's van from where he stands outside the drivers side door and honks the horn. He either doesn't see or doesn't care that Conrad rolls his eyes. "We're going to be late!"

    "Late to what?" Ellie questions him as the rest of the group comes out of the house. "You worried the waterfall will leave before we get there?"

    Jeremiah stares her down. "Maybe I am."

    "Look, Jere's definitely overly excited for this dumb trip, but he's right," Conrad says, glancing at his phone. "If we don't leave soon we won't beat traffic out of town."

    This morning they had to delay their departure already due to the fact all the debs had dance practice. Ellie didn't look at Belly once the whole day and they haven't spoken since their fight. Naturally, Ellie is ecstatic to sit in a car together and have to hangout all day. Maddie throws her arm around Ellie's shoulder. "Buck up, kid, it's going to be fun," she says.

    "Whatever you say, Rory Gilmore replica," Ellie shoots back, crossing her arms over her chest as she watches Maddie hop into the passenger side.

    To her left, Ellie spots Cameron saying hi to Belly and giving her a kiss on the cheek. With a sigh, she rubs her forehead tiredly. This is going to be a long day.

    The group piles into the car and they set off on their way. Driving through town is pretty smooth, a couple times they have to pause behind cars, but it doesn't seem too bad at first. It's an extremely hot day and Ellie wants to get out as soon as she can. Not only because of the weather, but also due to the fact she's sitting right next to Belly. For some reason Dev, Steven and Cameron took the back seats, so Ellie's currently squished between Jeremiah and Belly. It's hard to ignore a person when you can hear them breathing and feel their hair blowing against your arm due to the windows being undone all the way.