𝒊𝒙. summer celebrations

━━━━━━━━━━━━
ellie fisher 𝒙 belly conklin

 summer celebrations━━━━━━━━━━━━❛ ellie fisher 𝒙 belly conklin ❜

you're a shooting star i see,
a vision of ecstasy.
- diamonds,, rihanna

(season 1 episode 4)

word count; 3,800+

    THE FOURTH OF JULY is actually pretty fun up at Cousins. Otherwise, Ellie doesn't really like the celebration, the USA is not exactly something to celebrate, but everyone in her family gets together — even Adam — and they spend the day together. This morning, Ellie's baking a lot. Now, she bakes a lot all the time, but today it's more. People are coming over, and she wants there to be lots of treats for them to have. So, she's making muffins — Jeremiah's favourite — and cookies — Conrad's favourite — and brownies — her favourite — as well as blondies — Adam's favourite. And to end the night, later she'll be making baked brie — Susannah's favourite. So, this morning she's been busy. She woke up at 6 in the morning and found Susannah, Rosie and Laurel already up, drinking coffee. Though Susannah hates when her children drink the beverage, she made a cup for her daughter as well when the promise of baked brie and other treats was made.

    This is the one day a year Ellie actually feels like her family is a family and not broken. Susannah likes to believe they're this picture perfect, sunshine family, but in reality they're not. Adam is never around, he's not very good at being a dad. It's one of the reasons why Ellie doesn't want him to walk her down the aisle. If he's barely around to see who she is and who she'll become, why should he get to give her away? He doesn't know anything about her, but Susannah does. Susannah knows Ellie, and she's earned getting to walk her down the aisle.

    By the time she's put the blondie's into the oven, the last thing she's planning to make this morning, it's 8:45 AM and the rest of the house is finally waking up. Ellie makes sure to hide the treats for later so the boys don't come eat them all, and pulls out cereal boxes for everyone as well as leftover cinnamon buns from the other day.

    Jeremiah, Dev, Maddie and Belly gather at the table with their cereal as Ellie eats a bowl from where she stands by the oven. Most of the time, Ellie likes to stay by the oven as her treats bake, to assure nothing will go wrong. Not only that, but with the knowledge that her father's coming today, she wants the blondies to be perfect. She has no idea why she longs for his approval so badly, but she does. She thinks Jeremiah and Conrad do too, the former more than the latter. Jeremiah's always been compared to Conrad for most of his life. And, though Ellie knows Jeremiah loves Conrad, and Conrad's always tried to protect Jeremiah from their dad's lack of enthusiasm towards his younger son, it still stings the boy. It's strange, Ellie both dreads and looks forward to their dad visiting.