𝒊𝒗. summer debutantes

━━━━━━━━━━━━
ellie fisher 𝒙 belly conklin

❝ ask me again, are we friends orare we something more? ❞- back to mars,, beabadoobee

ask me again, are we friends or
are we something more?
- back to mars,, beabadoobee

(season 1 episode 1 & 2)

word count; 5,000+

"OFFICERS, THANK YOU. It won't happen again, I can promise you that much."

    The teens occupy the lounge room with shameful looks on their faces, most staring at their shoes. Ellie sits in front of Jeremiah on the floor, head leaning against the wall, knees pulled to her chest. Though she's scared of what their punishment may be, she's relieved Laurel is handling it. The alcohol is still having its effects on her, however thanks to the turn of events, she has sobered up hugely. (Also, thanks to the amount of time it took for the cops to find them all and bring them home. As well as for the cops to lecture them all and talk to Laurel.)

    Unfortunately, what hasn't worn off is the terrible pain she felt watching Belly kiss someone else.

    "Tell Mr. Fisher the chief wants to set up a tee time when he gets back in town," the male officer tells Laurel, giving a small smile.

    "Absolutely." Laurel nods with a smile of her own, waking with the officers as they begin to leave the house. "Sorry again for all the trouble. Have a good night, Officers." She closes the door, locking it before turning to them all with a disappointed expression, throwing her hands up in the air. Something in Ellie's chest tightens, hating how she's so clearly let the woman down. "How could you guys be so irresponsible?"

    "Mom, it wasn't a big deal," Steve tells her, rolling his eyes with his hands shoved in his pockets. From where he was leaning again the wall, he pushes himself off, waking towards Laurel as he explains. "All right? Seriously. The cops were just looking to break up the bonfire."

    "Not a big deal?"

    "Yes."

    "I would say getting picked up by the cops for underage drinking  is a pretty big deal, Steven," she tells him, arms crossed over her chest.

    Beginning to sniff the air, Steven lets out a surprised laugh. "Were-were you guys, you guys smoking tonight?"

    "What?" Laurel's brows pull together. "Keep your voice down. Susannah's asleep on the couch."

    "Well, I wasn't yelling," Steven says, completely shocked at this encounter. "Well, you-you-you were."

    In attempt to break the tension, as he always is trying to do, Jeremiah steps forward. "Just so you know, Laurel, I-I didn't drink tonight," he assures her, stepping forward beside Steven, hands also in his pockets. It's like it's some strange rule that if you're in trouble and talking to your parent, your head is always bowed low and your hands are in your pockets. "I was the DD, I swear."