1

Nic's PoV

"Hey Dove! Boss man wants to see you." One of the mechanics says as I get out of the cockpit of my F-18 after landing on the tarmac.

I just got back from my turn doing practice drills for the new mission for our squadron, what could I have possibly done to get in trouble already?

Obviously thats what every one is thinking as my wingman, Pain, Catches up to me.

"Dove what the hell did you do in the air that could possibly make boss man mad already?" Pain asks while bumping shoulders with me after getting out of his own F-18 along with his WSO, Panic, who falls into step with us on my left side.

"I have no idea Pain, but I guess i'm about to find out." I reply as I begin to head towards the offices on base.

"Good luck Dove! You will defiantly need it!" Panic yells after me.

As I walk away I hear some of the other pilots laughing and making bets on what I possibly could have done. Without turning back around I lift both my hands giving all of them the finger and continuing my walk to Admiral Metcalf's office.

As I get to the door I knock twice before hearing a "Come in" from the other side of the door.

"Sir, I don't know what I did this time but what ever it was, it was Pain's idea." I vomit out as soon as I make it though the door to the office.

"Lieutenant Bradshaw, we both know that would be a lie. Besides you aren't in trouble. Not today anyways. You have been called for a new mission." He replies back as if he didn't just tell me something crazy

"But sir we already have a mission, and I'm team leader of said mission. I..." Admiral Metcalf cuts me off.

"Our squadron does in fact have a mission. You are being pulled from this mission, Avalanche will be taking over as team leader on the mission."

"Sir, with all due respect Avalanche hasn't been training with us for this mission. He doesn't even know the parameters..." Metcalf again cuts me off.

"You are being given different orders Lieutenant Bradshaw and you are to obey them. They are coming from higher than me." He says curtly.

"Sir? I'm not sure I understand." I stammer trying to put the pieces together in my brain.

"You are being called to Top Gun Lieutenant Bradshaw."

"Sir I've already been through the Top Gun program. I graduated top of my class three years ago." I respond still very confused on what is going on.

"Well it appears they have a need for you back there. You are to be on the plane out of here with in three hours. Good luck Lieutenant, I have a feeling you will need it."

Admiral Metcalf then just turned back to his work as if he hadn't just dropped a very large bomb into my life. I'm being called back to Top Gun? What the hell? Plus I now only have about 2 hours to pack and say goodbye to my wingman. Speaking of, why aren't Pain and Panic coming with me? We are one of the best pairs there are in the Navy, so why only call me back?

*TIME SKIP*

two hrs later at the air port

"Well I guess this is goodbye you guys." I tell my wingman as he and Panic help me pull my stuff out of the back Pain's car.

"Metcalf really wouldn't tell you why you've been called back to top gun?" Pain asks as he pulls me into a hug.

"Nope. I'm not even sure he knows why I'm being called back. He just said that what ever it is, it's coming from high up." I respond as I pull back from the hug.

"Well whatever it is, Kick ass Dove! I know you'll be amazing!" Panic tells me as she pulls me into one final hug.

"I will Panic." I say as i pull back from her tight hug to catch my breath she scrunched out of me.

"Do me a favor and make sure Avalanche doesn't ruin the mission. He is a human wrecking ball of anything I love so please for the love of god don't let him mess this up too. Ok?" I say looking both Pain and Panic in the eye to let them know I am trusting them with this request.

"I promise Dove, I wont let Avalanche destroy another part of you. I know you were looking forward to leading this mission so I won't let him take this role and crush everything we've done for it." Pain tells me as he meets my eye contact.

My history with Avalanche is very rocky. We started seeing each other a few months into my deployment here after graduation the academy and had been on and off up until i was called to Top Gun originally. He didn't like that I was called and he wasn't so he decided that when I got back he would make my life a living hell. He sabotages my drills, and has a talent of getting other, usually younger, pilots to believe I am only here because of my connections to higher ups.

Luckily he hasn't named those higher ups because I never told him who I refer to as family, but he didn't need names to convince people I am where I am due to string pulling.

I told myself the best way to prove him and his 'followers' wrong was to be the best damn pilot they have ever seen. So I did. I made sure that whatever maneuvers we needed to execute, I could do them perfectly and be the first to do so. I guess doing all of that caught the attention of the higher ups and thats why I've been called back.

Well I guess there is only one way to truly figure out why I'm being called back.

It's time to return to North Island.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN:

Hey guys this is my first time writing, so if you don't like it please don't say anything mean. This is just something fun I wanted to try. 

Thanks and I hope you do enjoy the story, because I've enjoyed writing it so far.

Lauren