3

Nic's PoV

When Nat and I arrive at The Hard Deck, we see some familiar faces in the parking lot about to walk in.

"Is that who I think it is Phoenix?" I ask Nat as we get out of her car.

"I believe it is Dove. Hey boys what are y'all doing here?" Nat yells at the two figures ahead of us.

The two people turn around and we come face to face with Payback and Fanboy. Payback and Fanboy have been flying together since our time at Top Gun. They finished third in our class behind Phoenix and I, a fact us girls like to point out every chance we get.

"Wow Payback, look what the cat dragged in." Fanboy says as he pulls me into a head lock. He continues, "What brings you guys back to North Island?"

"Probably the same thing that brought you two losers here." Phoenix replies as she too is pulled into a head lock by Payback.

"Ouch Phoenix, you wound me." Payback adds as the guys finally let us go.

"Listen just because I'm a little shorter than you doesn't mean you can go around putting me in a head lock." I comment while trying to fix my hair that Fanboy ruffled as he let me out of his hold and start walking towards the Hard Decks doors.

"Oh little Dove I think it does mean that actually. It's just too easy to pick on you when you barely come up to our shoulders." Payback shoots back with a laugh.

"Well I guess we will just have to settle this in the sky... again, or did you guys forget who came out on top every time the last time we shared an air space?" I call back as I push open the front door hearing Payback and Fanboy jogging to catch up to us.

Walking into The Hard Deck Bar again feels like stepping right into the past. I feel like I'm back at Top Gun the first time. A shy fighter pilot just trying to find her footing. It helped that Penny, the bar owner, is a family friend in some ways. She always made sure I was taken care of.

The first person I see when I walk into the bar is Penny. She is behind the bar helping the other bar tender get people's drinks. She seemed busy so I didn't go directly over to her. Phoenix had other plans anyways, which she made clear as she pulled me towards the pool table and dart board at the back of the room. I turned to see Payback and Fanboy on our tail laughing at each other. All the sudden I hear a voice I I can't seem to place.

"And here I thought we were special, Coyote. Turns out the invite went out to anyone."

"Fellas, lady, this here is Bagman." Phoenix says introducing us to the blonde guy in front of us.

"Hangman." The stranger replies quickly.

"Whatever." Phoenix says while rolling her eyes. "You're looking at one of the only two naval aviators on active duty with a confirmed air-to-air kill." Phoenix continues. Only I know where this is going and try to hide the smirk making it's way onto my face.

"Oh stop Phoenix you flatter me." Hangman says before fully processing the rest of what phoenix said. "Wait... One of two?" He quickly adds on after fully grasping what she was implying.

"Well there was that one guy from the Korean war." I reply before anyone can catch onto Hangman's confusion.

"Cold war." Coyote tries to step in and make it sound like Nat has no idea what she is talking about.

"Different war. Same Century." Payback adds.

"Not this one" Fanboy continues.

"Wait who is the other one Phoenix?" Hangman asks clearly not giving up on this topic until he gets the answers he is looking for.