18

Nic's PoV:

After I finish my Song, everyone starts to clap. I pull my focus from Bob and lower my head in hopes no one will notice the blush that is slowly taking over my face and neck.

Phoenix breaks the silence by playing the next song, which she has decided is a duet between us. She had picked 'she's so gone' from the Disney classic Lemonade Mouth. I let out a laugh as she pulls me into a dance and my blush fades away.

After our song has finished we head back towards Bob and sit down to finish our drinks.

"Why didn't I know you could sing like that?" Bob whispers in my ear.

"You never asked." I giggle, feeling the alcohol a bit stronger in my system.

"Also, I liked the song choice." He responds with a wink.

Bob then pulls back and sits back in his chair watching Payback and Fanboy make fools of themselves once again, trying to get Maverick to sing somebody to love with them. Maverick turns them down but then gets up after they are finished and sings 'you've lost that lovin' feeling'.

Everyone goes crazy when he finishes his song. Penny is laughing so hard she almost falls out of her chair. Maverick pointed towards Rooster and I making sure we understood his song choice. I laughed a little harder knowing him and my dad sang that song while at top gun when Mav was trying to pick up a girl.

Song after song is sung and the tension in the air about the mission is slowly forgotten. After a while we all take a break from singing songs and just dance around to the jukebox for a bit.

As a slow dance starts to play, Bob pulls me into him and we start to sway back and forth.

"When this mission is over and we are both back on solid ground safe and sound, I'm going to take you to meet my family. We are going to take the leave they are giving us, and we are gonna go to Texas and you'll meet my family." He pauses a bit looking me in the eyes before adding one final statement "Then I'm gonna marry you."

I freeze up a bit at the last part, but Bob doesn't let me fester in my thoughts. "I know that seems like a lot and like everything is happening fast. Don't freak out yet. We can wait a while for the wedding, but I just want you to know that, that is my plan. I've already told Bradley about it, and I was going to talk to Maverick about it after the mission, because I know he is the father figure in your life." Bob pauses for a second before continuing again.

"I'm serious about us, Little Bird. You're it for me." With that he pulls me into a kiss that turns the world around me blank, as if we were the only people in the room.

We pull away as wolf whistles are heard from behind us. I turn and see everyone back at the booth watching our interaction like we were on a reality TV show. I send the booth a lovely gesture that causes Bob to let out a deep loud laugh. Hearing that sound from him never fails to put a smile on my face.

As Bob sobers up from his laughter, the song comes to an end and Maverick walks up to us.

"Care to give us one last song to end the night, Nic?"  He asks.

"Sure, I can do one last one. Any requests?"

"Yeah, I've got the perfect one." Mav answers with a smile.

I follow him towards Penny who hands me the mic and pulls up 'Hurt somebody' by Noah Kahan. Letting out a small laugh I take the mic and head to the front.

"Well Maverick has convinced me to sing one last time, so this one is for him."

'Taking it slowly