20

I don't register much other than my knees giving out, but there is no impact of my knees meeting the floor. Arms are wrapped around me tight as they pull me towards a body.

A voice started whispering in my ear that everything was going to be ok. But how could it? The only family I had left in this world is now gone. I mean yes I had Sarah, Thomas and Emily, but they had just lost their husband/ father, I couldn't burden them with this tragedy too.

"They're gone. My family is gone." My voice cracked with each word, my throat became very dry and scratchy. It was as if my body was sending all the water it had left to my eyes.

Phoenix flew our jet back to the carrier with Payback and Fanboy right behind. He had been shot down. They both had been shot down. All I could think about was getting to Nic. Had she witnessed the whole thing? Did she have to hear the events in real time? Was there anyone near her who would be of comfort?

Phoenix lands the jet and we are told to sit for a few minutes while the jet is checked by the mechanics. The wait feels as if it is an eternity.

After what was probably a few minutes we were cleared to exit the jet. Phoenix lets me down the latter first, seeing my rush and panic to find Nic.

Once I am down the latter, I find the closest naval officer and ask where the command room is. He kindly points up a set of stairs towards a door. I say a quick thank you and take off up the stairs, still in my flight suit.

Once I make it through the door, I make eye contact with Admiral Simpson. He gives me a sad smile and moves back slightly, letting my sight land on Admiral Bates who is currently holding a sobbing Nic.

I make my way over to them and let my eye scan the room, Hondo has tears in his eyes and a slight frown as he looks towards Nic.

My gaze snaps back to my girl as Warlock looks at me and gives me another sad smile.

I nod my head towards him and reach towards Nic. As soon as she feels another set of hands on her, Nic's eyes snap up and meet mine. She flings herself from Warlocks arms and wraps herself around me. Her arms around my neck and her legs around my waist.

"I'm so sorry, little bird. I'm so so sorry." I whisper into her hair as she burrows her head into my neck.

"They're gone, Bob. They are both gone." She sobs.

I look up towards Warlock and he motions towards the wall directly behind me. I take a few steps back and lean against the wall, drained from the mission already and now holding the love of my life just after she heard her brother and father figure get shot down, it's been a long exhausting day.

After a few minutes of silence, there is a voice from the front of the room that pulls everyone's attention up.

"Sir, we are receiving a signal from Roosters ESAT. But there seems to be a malfunction."

Admiral Bates steps forward confused, "Well have you lost him?"

"No, Sir. He's supersonic."

Admiral Bates and Simpson share a surprised look as a voice speaks again.

"Sir, Overwatch reports an F-14 Tomcat is airborne and on course for our location."

"Can't be. It can't be." Simpson says in wonder.

Bates lets out a little smile and laughs, "Maverick."

I turn my attention back to Nic and she slightly lifts her head.

"Do you hear that Little Bird? Rooster is alive, and so is Maverick. They are on their way to us." I whisper.

Nic lifts her head a bit more and turns her focus towards the screen as a jet Icon flashes on. As this information processes in her mind, she slowly lowers her body off mine, and turns fully around to keep her eyes on the screen.

She is still pressed with her back against my front, my arms wrapped around her middle holding her close.

A voice from the front speaks up again, "Sir, there are two bandits on the F-14's tail."

"Well I guess we are about to find out if Maverick remembers how to fly an F-14 in combat." Admiral Simpson says, flooding his arms over his chest. In the silence that followed, I could feel Nic slowly sinking back into me. She started to shake from nerves.

"Nic, this is Maverick we are talking about. He will do everything in his power to get Rooster back to this carrier alive." I whisper into her hair.

Her shaking subsides a bit and she stands up a bit straighter, eyes still focused solely on the screen.

"Splash one. Bandit down!" a voice yells out from the front.

Bates lets out a sigh of relief and turns towards Simpson, "Well I guess he remembers."

Due to the fact we don't have contact with Maverick and Rooster. there is tension in the room as we wait to hear what jet goes down next from the radar.

"Splash two. Second bandit down." There is a short pause before another voice speaks.

"There is another bandit on route to intercept. Time: 2 minutes."

Hangman's voice came over the comms once more, "Dagger spare requesting to launch and provide air support."

Without missing a beat Admiral Simpson agrees,

"Send him."

"Dagger spare, Launch."

Within 30 seconds Hangman's jet took off towards the F-14 in hopes to get there quick enough to help. Within that same time Roosters voice comes through the comms.

"Where the hell is this guy?"

Nic lets out a sob of relief and her knees finally give out. I catch her in my arms and prevent her from injury, pulling her up against me.

Mavericks voice then joins Roosters.

"He's on our nose. Smoke in the air. Rooster, flares."

The whole room waits on baited breath, listening to the conversation.

"That was close. We're out of flares Mav. Shit! He's already on us. Uhhh. This is not good. We took another hit!"

"No. no. no. no. no. NO!"

"We can't take much more of this."

"We can't out run this guy. We need to eject."

"What?"

"We need altitude. Pull the ejection handles the second I tell you."

"Mav, Wait!"

"Rooster there's no other way. Eject, eject, eject."

"Rooster pull the handle! Eject!"

"It's not working!"

"MAV!"

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry Goose." 

With that one sentience, Nic collapses completely. 

A/N  

Sorry a bit of a shorter chapter this time. School just started up again for me so bear with me, and I'll try to update soon. <3