19

A/N Hey guys! With this part of the story, I have it switching back and forth between Nic and Bob's PoV's. 

So when the writing is in normal text like this it will be Nic's PoV

When the writing is like this it is Bob's PoV.

It will probably be like this for the next few parts so you can see more of the story and get the inner thoughts of both characters. 

Maverick's voice comes through the radio,

"Dagger one, upland ready on catapult one."

"Dagger spare standing by."

"Dagger four, up and ready."

"Dagger three, up and ready."

There is a moment of silence before Rooster can be heard. "Dagger two, up and ready."

The comms officer's voice then goes through, "Support assets airborne. Strike package ready. Standing by for launch decision."

Cyclone looks over at Warlock before turning back forward, "Send them."

There is a moment of silence before the comms officer calls out each jet taking off.

"Dagger one away...Dagger two away...Dagger three away... Dagger four away."

I watch as all my loved ones take off away from the safety of the deck and into danger. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and thought, Here goes nothing.

As we take off from the deck my thoughts go to Nic, She just watched her father figure, brother, best friends and boyfriend take off on a mission that we all could possibly not return from.

Maverick's voice cuts me out of my thoughts, "Comanche, Dagger one. Standby check-in."

"Comanche 11, set. Picture clean. Recommended dagger continue."

"Copy. Daggers descending below radar."

All of the jets then descend to right above the water, and continue towards the canyon. There is a short pause before Maverick speaks again.

"Here we go. Enemy territory up ahead. Feet dry 60 seconds. Comanche, Picture."

"Comanche, picture clean. The decision is yours."

"Copy." There is another short pause before Mavericks voice comes through again. "Dagger attack."

Hondo's voice cuts through the quiet announcing the Tomahawk has been sent. Warlock looks my way then towards Cyclone, "No turning back now."

Hondo looks back at me, checking in on how I'm doing. I give him a weak smile and shake my hands down by my side, trying to release some of the nervous energy. Maverick's voice then cuts back through.

Maverick calls the pilot's attention, "Daggers, assume attack formation." Phoenix lowers our jet and pulls behind Mav, and Rooster behind us, so that we can enter the canyon in a single file.

"Daggers set. Proceeding to target. 2 minutes and 30 seconds in 3...2...1... Mark."

Phoenix the calls in "Mark." and Rooster and Payback after her. Maverick comes back over the comms again.

"Going in. First SAM sight overhead."

I pull my eyes up towards the mountaintop watching the SAM for any kind of movement or signal we are on radar, but there is no movement. Letting out a sigh I tell Phoenix we are in the clear.