4

Bob's PoV

Getting out of the cockpit after our drills was just like it was every other day. Blaze got out and started talking to the other pilots and I got out and went directly to the locker room to change.

Being the quiet one when around a bunch of naval fighter pilots isn't always bad. People stay out of my business and no one ever really has a problem with me.

I know it seems kind of weird for a Weapons system officer to not really be friends with his pilot, but it hasn't failed me yet. Blaze and I know enough about each other that there is trust we can do our jobs and not get the other killed.

What else do you really need?

When I first applied for the academy I wanted to be a pilot, but once I got into the actual flying part I realized my love for flying was more tied to WSO work. Once I made the transition into weapon systems I really found my groove.

After graduating the academy I was stationed at Lemoore where I quickly sharpened my skills and became one of the best WSO in the Navy. I was sent to Top Gun with Blaze about 4 years after graduating the academy. We ended up first in our class and then returned to Lemoore and have been here ever since.

After finishing up in the locker room I started out to finish up some paperwork for leave to visit family and meet my new niece. It can be pretty hard being so far from home for extended periods of time. I've missed my older sisters wedding and now the birth of my brothers first kid. But hey what can you do? It's part of the job I signed up for when I applied for the Naval academy.

On my way to drop off the paperwork I was called into the Admirals office. Admiral Caine had just gotten back from a short trip to another base that was testing a new jet, so it was a little weird to be called in, he usually took a few days to get back into things on base before talking to people.

"Lieutenant Floyd, how were the drills today?" He asked as soon as I walked into his office.

"They were good. What can I help you with Sir?" I asked quietly.

"Well son, You are being called on a new mission." He replies still looking out his office window.

"Sir?" I start a bit taken back "If I'm being called on a mission why isn't Blaze here as well?" I continue still confused.

"Lieutenant Giles isn't being called for this mission. Only a select few are going and they are in need of another WSO, not a pilot. So you will be going alone." He said finally sitting down in his chair and turning to face me.

"Alright. Where exactly am I going sir?" I ask feeling a bit unsure about it all.

"You son, are being called back to Top Gun." Admiral Caine says looking me in the eye.

"I'm sorry what?" I respond dumbfounded.

"The higher ups are putting together a team of the best, and you have been issued the call. you are to report to North Island the day after tomorrow. Good luck Lieutenant Floyd. You're gonna need it."

With that I'm then dismissed from his office and walk into the hallway feeling like I can't breath. As I walk out to the main entry of the base towards the parking lot to leave I'm stopped by Blaze and some of the other pilots.

"I heard you got called to Caine's office. What happened?" Blaze asked.

I turned towards him hesitantly not sure how he is going to respond to me leaving without him. "I'm getting called on a mission."

"What do you mean? Why wasn't I called in to the meeting if we are getting called to a mission?" Blaze pushed.

"No not we, me. Only I'm getting called to the mission. I guess they are in need of another WSO and I'm the one they want." I respond still nervous.

"Where are they sending you?" One of Blaze's pilot friends asks.

"I'm being called back to Top Gun. Higher ups are putting together a small team and I got the call." I pause. "I have to leave today. "

"So I'm getting a new WSO? We've flown together for years, why are they separating us now?" Blaze seems to be asking himself the questions now more than actually talking to me so I shoot a quite 'Im sorry' and start out to my car.

Once I get back to my apartment I look around for things I will need to pack. I start with packing my service kakis and my Dress whites, then my flight suit and helmet. As I move through out my apartment packing the things I will need I also start making a pile of things to send home incase the mission goes wrong I guess. I pack up memorabilia and some important documents that the Navy has us send home whenever we go out on a mission.

Once I'm fully packed everything I need I head to bed for the night wanting to start my journey south early enough to get there at a decent time.

The next morning I wake up around 3AM and start to pack up my Jeep Wrangler with all of my stuff. After a quick. stop to get coffee and breakfast I take off on my six almost seven hour drive south to North Island.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Seven hours later*

After a long drive I finally pull up to the gates at North Island Naval base. once my ID has been cleared I am given instruction to head to apartments around the back side of the base and handed the key for apartment D 303.

After parking my car I head inside with my bags to find my apartment for the next few weeks at least. Once I walk in I am greeted by an open apartment with one bedroom a bathroom kitchen, and a main living space. It's not big by any means, but its a decant size for one guy.

Once I am all settled in I sit on the couch and think about where I might find the rest of those here for the detachment. After a few minutes I remember the hang out spot for all of the fighter pilots at Top Gun was a bar on the beach, named something like Hard deck.

After looking it up and seeing it is really just around the block from base I decide it's likely the place the others will go to get one last night of fun in before training starts tomorrow. Finally deciding to go check it out and possible get to know the others, I pull myself up off the couch and change into my service kakis. Making my way out of my apartment and into my Jeep again I take a deep breath and remind myself that meeting new people isn't going to hurt me, it will possible only make doing this mission easier.

After about a five minute car ride I pulled into the parking lot at The Hard Deck. It's just after 6:00 so the bar is already open but not many people are here. As I make my way inside I stop by the bar for a drink.

"Hello Ma'am can I get a beer please?" I ask the Lady behind the bar.

"Sure hun, want anything else?" She asks while grabbing me a bottle and opening it for me.

"Got any kind of snack?"

"I can give you a cup of peanuts." she said with a small laugh.

"Actually that would be great, if you don't mind." I reply.

"Alright I'll get those for you. What's your name Hun?" She asked.

"Oh um, Bob Ma'am."

"Well Bob call me Penny, no need for the 'Ma'am's." She adds as she hands me my beer and cup of peanuts.

She then points her finger towards the dart board area. "I saw more Navy guys over there if you were looking for someone."

"Oh thank you, and again thank you for the drink and snack, it's very much appreciated." I send her a nod and head towards the back where she pointed and took a deep breath.

Here goes nothing.