Ch. 2 The Crimson Encounter

I can't believe my ears. It doesn't seem like a joke, nor a misunderstanding.

Observing and safeguarding humanity, an organization called "Chaldea." There, an unexplained explosion occurred, the facility was burning down, and by chance, a Master who survived, fulfilled a Rayshift, and fused with a mysterious Heroic Spirit, becoming what they call a Demi-Servant, and together with the Master, they were fighting in this burning city.

"Wow, isn't that amazing, Fujimaru-kun! To pull off summoning the King of Heroes on your first try! Excellent! There's no better card in terms of battle strength!"

I can't see her, but I can hear her voice. She seems unreliable and frivolous, but could she be their strategist?

In other words... the fate of all humanity rests upon these two young girls.

"Um, excuse me."

As I ponder over the information given to me, a girl clad in purple armor, with a delicate impression, speaks up.

"Thank you for responding to my summon, senpai. My name is Mash Kyrielight. I am a Demi-Servant, having fused with a certain Heroic Spirit. I am one of the Servants contracted with you."

...

"We are planning to investigate this Singularity and return to Chaldea through Rayshift. However, there are already numerous enemies patrolling here, and we predict it would be difficult for us, who have no combat experience, to advance."

The girl in purple continues to speak. Her voice is gentle and pleasing to the ears.

In her slender arms, she holds an oversized shield. According to the knowledge given during the summoning, Servants are confined to a framework called "Class" and manifest a specific aspect.

I wonder what her Class is. Well, that's a question to begin with, but what about this Heroic Spirit named Gilgamesh? What Class does he belong to?

This information cannot be given. There won't be any Heroes asking what Class they belong to and what their fighting style is. Such a question is beyond the domain of Servants with dementia.

...But as I look at the object that looks like a shield, I feel something strange.

Is that really a shield? Somehow, it doesn't fit the image of one.

Rather than a shield, it's more like something you spread out beneath you while having dinner...

"Despite the disrespect, I will make a suggestion. Could you lend us your strength, senpai?"

A straightforward request. It feels sincere and without any hidden agenda.

...If I can be of help, there's no reason not to. In fact, that's the reason I'm here.

That cry I shouted... that I didn't want to die without achieving anything, that's why I'm here.

"Alright."

Those were the only words I could say, but it seems my intention got across. The expressions of the two girls brighten up.

"There's no need for such confirmation at this point. You wouldn't have responded to the summon without intending to lend your strength."

"Huh! What a capricious and haughty King! Are you really that King of Heroes?"

"Such matters are for you to evaluate with your own eyes. Now, let us depart. You have done what you needed to do here."

"What... what do we need to do?"

"Summoning me. Whether you consider me necessary or not, that is for you to decide. You have the Command Spells to control the Servant, so you can deal with it however you wish."

"Were there mistakes in the summoning? No, that can't be... What's with this cautious King of Heroes? Scary! He's so scary!"

"Doctor, please be quiet. ...Um, in that case, please take care of us, King of Heroes."

"Yes, do your best."

Mash Kyrielight, who had been tense until now, relaxes her demeanor. I don't know why, but she seems to have resolved herself, as if she had prepared to lose her head.

"What a surprise. I worried for nothing! The King of Heroes is unexpectedly friendly, isn't he!"

"Well well, looks like I worried for nothing! The King of Heroes is unexpectedly friendly, isn't he!"

The girl who was crouching until just now breaks into a wide grin. In contrast to Mash, she exudes a lively atmosphere.

"I am Fujimaru Ritsuka! I somehow became a Master in a haphazard way! Nice to meet you, Gil!"

"Wha--"

"Yay--"

Resonating voices, and Mash is left speechless. Both of them have quite dramatic reactions.

"Yes, you must strive to fulfill the great role of being a Master."

"Is, is it okay!?"

"What about it?"

"Aren't you going to be angry or say it's disrespectful for me to call you by such a nickname?"

"Any name will do. Why do you get so worked up over such a thing?"

I feel like I'm being excessively feared. Unless I'm a tyrant, I don't see why I can't be called by any name they like.

"Um, well... if it's alright with the King of Heroes, then it's fine, but..."

"Friendly! I might have pulled the best Servant ever! Alright, Mash, Gil! Our journey starts from now on!"

"It feels like it's already over, senpai!"

Ritsuka shouts cheerfully. It's good to see her so full of energy. It's even better that she's filled with vitality.

Now then, how much can I live up to their expectations? At the very least, I must avoid any disgrace of being defeated in the first battle.

Besides, there should be some books about the King of Heroes in Chaldea. I should at least know the details of the hero whose vessel I've become.

"Hey, you there, the voice."

"Ah, ah, me? Are you talking about me? I'm Romani Archaman. I'm part of Chaldea's medical staff..."

"When we get back, I want to read the records about Gilgamesh... Gather them for me... gather them."

"You want to read about the King of Heroes? I don't mind, but... ah, are you doing this so that Fujimaru-kun can learn more about you? You're really considerate for a hero."

"I will read them."

"Uh...?"