Ch. 3 First Battle

Walking in step with the two, they tread through the scorched city.

This place is called Fuyuki, a town in Japan. The cause of the constant burning is unknown, and whether it's due to some external factor is also unclear.

"So, this is Fuyuki. It seems like it's been rapidly westernized."

"Senpai? It's admirable that you're not getting too anxious, but it's better not to be too lax about the surrounding vigilance..."

"No worries, no worries! If we're already dead, then we must have died already! The fact that I'm alive and here is the answer!"

"Yeah! I'm a super hero! The Ultra Master loved by the world! Probably!"

"It's baseless confidence... Well, it's better than being pessimistic, isn't it? What do you think, King of Heroes?"

"Well, who knows. Normally, I could say anything. But a person's true nature is revealed when they're exposed to a crisis."

"Does Gil become a coward when I'm in trouble?"

"That can be calculated from this point. That must be your acquaintance."

Just ahead, there's a woman desperately casting targeted curses at skeletal soldiers. Seeing that she's still clinging to life, her soul must still be intact.

—In an instant, I see through it all. Helping her would only give her more despair.

Is it because of this vessel's ability? With just a glance, with just one look, I understand what it is.

"Oh, hey there, Director!"

"Wha!? What are you doing here!? Are you alive!?"

"We'll talk later! Let's save the Director! Mash, secure the Director!"

"Yes, Senpai!"

There is a part of me that deduces that it's meaningless to save her.

There is a part of me that gives up because there's no way to restore her body. She's probably a spirit, some sort of lingering soul sent here.

—She's already dead.

"Gil? Gil!"

Called out, I return to myself.

"What's up, making such a fuss?"

"It's finally time to show off your golden power! The King of Heroes! I want to see you looking cool!"

"—"

...It's futile, and I can easily dismiss it.

It's impossible, and I can easily give up.

But if I keep doing that, I won't gain anything.

If I only seek profit, I don't need emotions.

Every time I discard something as futile, I also throw away something valuable, a lesson I learned in my past life.

Moreover, she still struggles without knowing her own fate.

She still hasn't determined her own worth, unlike my past self.

Then, it wouldn't be right to abandon her completely.

The end should be determined by my own will. If the flame of life is still smoldering, then let it burn until it's extinguished.

"Hmph. Even if you flatter and praise me, nothing will come of it."

If it were my worthless self from my past life, I might not have minded.