Ch. 31 Tooth bite

"Gill――!!"

At the castle in Orleans, Jeanne, who had returned, calls out for Gilles.

"Ha! Gilles de Rais, here."

"I'm frustrated, angry! My intestines are boiling, about to be burned to a crisp! Do something, Gilles! Calm my anger!!"

Jeanne is raging with fury. Seeing this, tears well up in Gilles' giant eyes.

"What a tragic sight――to witness the excessive opulence of that golden king tarnishing the sublime black radiance――"

"That gilded one, that gilded one, that gilded one――!! How dare he mock the flag I raised――!"

"That dragon flag that I was so proud of...! That symbol that I created...! How dare him――!"

Flames dance around the area. The fire engulfing Jeanne swells and writhes.

"I've never been extravagant――I ran away from salvation――he said the white one is greater!"

"Jeanne, please calm down..."

"Shut up!!"

"Huh!?"

Jeanne kicks Gilles in the abdomen, causing him to collapse.

"Oh... Such a painful blow filled with hatred and humiliation... I've etched it in my soul..."

"Don't say disgusting things!! Oh, enough... enough!!"

She shouts while pacing around the room.

"I didn't lose!! I didn't run away!! I don't need luxury!! I am, I am, I am――!!"

"Oh, Jeanne..."

Rising to his feet, Gilles gently places a hand on her shoulder, speaking to her as if comforting a child.

"It's alright. It's important to let thoughtless insults flow away like a willow. If you take them to heart, any soul will be broken. In the midst of a storm, it's not the big tree that won't break, but the willow."

"But... that won't calm me down――!!"

"It's fine, Jeanne. You don't need to forget your anger or try to calm down."

"Slowly chew on it and let it permeate your being. The humiliation you received will become fuel, and the insults thrown at you will become your indignation, praising your brilliance. Understand, Jeanne. You are a dragon witch... an existence forgiven for hating and destroying everything. Feel free to act as you please. The unfairness you received is but a fleeting dream. Take a deep breath. Now, one, two, three..."

"...You're right."

As instructed, Jeanne regains her composure.

"I didn't meet anyone. The annoying golden one and even the increased me, it's all a dream, isn't it, Gilles?"

"That's right. Now, you must be tired tonight. Rest in your bedroom. I'll always be by your side."

"...I understand. I'll sleep. Goodnight, Gilles."

"Very well, sweet dreams, Jeanne――"

"Oh, did she fall asleep? The witch has."

Berserker Rider appears a few minutes later.

"Jeanne left for Salem with her red face and soul calmed by being stirred up. So, what is it? Do you have a message for me?"

"Oh, yes――there was a message and a suggestion."

"Really? What is it?"

"It says, 'Get comforted by your foster parent.'"

"――,――"