Ch. 25 Holy Maiden

"What is this place? An abandoned hut?"

Upon arriving at the fortress that had been attacked and almost reduced to ruins after chasing the soldiers, the group couldn't help but express their astonishment.

The sight was devastating, as if it had been gouged by claws, burnt by flames, and gnawed by fangs, leaving their souls speechless.

"Could it be that? A shabby barn that three livestock animals created to protect themselves from wolves?"

"'I think it's a fortress. The outer walls are still intact, but the inside is in a terrible state.'"

"'It's not just wounded soldiers... Ritsuka , the soldiers returned over there, right?'"

"I'm sure. Let's go and hear what they have to say."

"Alright, say 'Bonjour.' Bonjour."

They repeated the greetings in accordance with the French customs. Ritsuka nodded and approached the soldiers.

"...Are you not enemies?"

"Yes, please tell us. What happened here?"

"...She was resurrected."

"Resurrected?"

"Yes, the Holy Maiden, Jeanne d'Arc, was resurrected."

"As a Dragon Witch... she made a pact with the devil!"

"'What!?'"

"...A country girl made a pact with the devil?"

"'Is that true!?'"

It's not surprising that Chaldea's Jeanne would react with astonishment to such a story.

***

Attacking the approaching skeletons, Mash and the Master used them as practice while leaning on a motorcycle. Meanwhile, they checked Jeanne's profile.

"'This is my material, King of Heroes.'"

"Hmm."

Jeanne d'Arc, a country girl who received the voice of God in her devout soul, picked up the flag to save Orleans and became a renowned holy maiden in the world, standing up as the savior of France.

With her courageous efforts and the revelations she received, she miraculously liberated Orleans in just one year.

However, Jeanne's dignity was captured by an enemy nation and subjected to all kinds of humiliation and degradation. Betrayed by her allies in pursuit of compensation, she was subjected to every possible blasphemy and insult to draw out the voice of God she claimed to hear.

Mentally and physically demeaned, she met a cruel end, not even allowed to rest in peace. Her dignity was only restored 400 years later.

"You have become a Ruler, despite all that."

The current words were subjective... they slipped out unintentionally.

It's unbelievable. Could a life be so unrewarding? To be betrayed by those she protected, sold to enemies, and burned with regret.

A normal person would... hate the world, harbor resentment, and end up consumed by hatred, right?

"No, it's rather impressive that you became a Heroic Spirit. Considering the treatment you received, being a vengeful spirit or a avenger would have been appropriate, country girl."

"'Avenger? Why?'"

Jeanne asked, looking puzzled.

"'Avenger is a class that hates someone. I don't hold any grudges against anyone.'"