Ch. 36 Departure

"--To wake up from slumber and find out that Berserker Rider had committed suicide. I thought her will was strong. Falling behind like this..."

Jeanne murmured. It was her personal feelings upon witnessing Berserker's disappearance.

"Her reason and madness were in conflict, and it ended up being incomplete. Yes, that's probably it. Having such strong self-discipline can also be a double-edged sword. --However, she fought with all her might. But... That golden figure... We must not let our guard down."

"Oh Jeanne... Has that golden figure been forgotten?"

"There's no way it could be forgotten! I'll crush it this time! I'll take 'him' down! The newly summoned Servants as well."

She wrapped herself in her flag and fur.

"Contact Berserker Assassin too, Berserker Ber... Ugh, it's such a hassle!"

Jeanne tapped her foot impatiently. It seems her boiling anger hasn't subsided yet.

"Knight of the Lake, Lancelot! Executioner, Charles-Henri Sanson!"

A knight adorned in black armor and a young man in a long coat.

"--urrrrr..."

"Here."

"I'll prepare Wyverns, follow after me. Go berserk as you wish, and slaughter them all."

"I leave it to you. The duty of beheading the queen is most suited for an executioner."

"Especially, we're counting on you, Lancelot. --Make sure, absolutely, absolutely, absolutely, absolutely kill that golden figure!"

"..."

"Jeanne, feel free to act as you wish! Betraying you, France, the world, even God! Repay mockery with vengeance, burn and destroy in your wrath!"

"Yes, of course. --Hey, Gilles."

Jeanne murmured softly.

"Which one do you think is the real one, there or here?"

"It's obvious. You, who rose up with indignation against betrayal, with hatred against contempt, with accusations against God's mockery, you are none other than Jeanne! Jeanne d'Arc!"

Passionately exclaimed Gilles.

"You, who rose up with ordinary emotions, exercising ordinary rights. Because you were destroyed, you shall destroy... There's nothing impure in that. You are the righteous Jeanne d'Arc."

"I see. Gilles. You have always been there to help me."

"Yes, that's why..."

"'To be comforted by one's foster parent.'"

"..."

Stiffened Gilles, and then, Jeanne. Both of them, like machines that had frozen.

"... Did I say something? Somehow, that bothersome gaudy golden one crossed my mind."

"No, no. I wouldn't playfully say something to mislead you."

"I see. Then, I'm off."

"Please, be yourself, Jeanne..."

Soaring, the Dragon Witch Jeanne d'Arc.

"――So you've noticed, King of Heroes... To my wish, to the heart of Jeanne d'Arc's essence――!"

The voice, as if squeezed out by Gilles, resounded through the castle halls.

...

"'Sob, ugh... sob...'"