Chapter 2

C H A K

Loid unlocked the door unveiling a simple but cozily furnitured room with a hard wooden floor.

"My home?" Anya gasped, her eyes round. A curious but wary Kei peeked over her sister's shoulder. So nice.

"That's right." Kei couldn't help but let out the tiniest of smiles at that, a warm fuzzy feeling coming over her at that.

"TV!" Anya exclaimed excitedly.

"Turn it on if you like."

S P Y W A R S

Today's animated adventure...

Meanwhile, Kei glanced at the tantalizing tomes taking up the bookshelf next to the TV. She yearned to open one. The Secret Garden. Moby-Dick. Pride and Prejudice. Little Women.

She sneaked a look back at the spy who was currently occupied sighing over Anya's antics.

Because, let us all be honest, Anya is a handful.

"I'm stepping out for a bit." He announced as soon as he thought Anya was immersed in her show.

Suddenly, BOiNg

G L O M

"Adventure time!" Anya cheered clutching onto Loid's legs as if they were a lifeline.

"It's not an adventure. It's just shopping."

As if. Shopping for forged I.D. papers? Hah. Kei thought to herself. Evidently, Anya thought the same as she didn't let go.

"I want a silenced pistol!" Anya skipped through the streets, her sparkling eyes taking in all the sights.

Kei followed but at a much more subdued pace. She sighed mournfully over the books. Loid sent back a worried glance.

The key to espionage is appearing absolutely normal. I must become completely inconspicuous -an utterly common-place father on a joyful family outing. Loid thought to himself in a burst of passion.

"Papa! Save meeee!"

Must she be so conspicuous?

Another sigh from an ever-gloomy Kei behind him.

And must she be so conspicuous about her apparent unhappiness?

"Come now, deary. A little girl like you needs to hold your daddy's hand." An old lady guided Anya back to an impatient Loid.

...

...

Holding hands will impair my ability to react to an enemy attack. But I suppose there's no way around it...

Enemy attack?! Anya looked up, alarmed. Kei grimaced. Not again.

Without a second to waste, Anya grabbed Kei's sleeve and ran to the middle of the street, glancing around erratically for any enemies.

She dragged Kei underneath along underneath a table bundled with fruits and crouched down, her hands over her head.

Of course she remembered now when she had never remembered in the drills. Of course she did. Kei thought in exasperated fondness.

But her reminancance was quickly interrupted by the spy's question of "What are you doing?"

"Hiding." Anya had replied, her eyes shut tightly.

Do they hate me? Did I do something to make them fear me? Was it too soon to hold hands? This is a problem in need to stay on good terms with them until my mission is complete. Loid panicked, nevermind the fact that Kei had only been dragged along Anya's whims.