Excerpt #1

Excerpt #1

Loid sighed heavily, sinking down onto a bench. "Parenting is hard..."

"Tell me about it." A nearby man spoke up jokingly.

Loud glanced up in surprise. He hadn't meant to say it aloud. He was truly losing his touch.

He settled for tiredly nodding along, too exhausted to bother putting up a facade. "You have children too?"

"I do, in fact." The man chuckled, sipping from a mug. Coffee, Loid noted distantly. "Two girls. One's gone to college. The other's in elementary. 'love them to death, really. Can be a bit though."

A bit is an understatement. An image of Anya and her... exuberant... tendencies came to mind.

"Yeah."

"What about'chya? You have kids?" The man asked curiously.

"Two girls as well. They're twins." Loid explained. There was something charismatic and simply honest about the man that made him, a veteran spy, want to confess everything.

"Ah." The man nods knowingly, chortling slightly to himself. Like he knew something Loid didn't. "They're young?"

"Six."

"You'll have a lot of fun once they start their monthly annoyances then." Monthly annoyances??? And then, realization struck. Loid paled dramatically.

The man burst into a peal of laughter at the spy's obvious discomfort.

"Don't worry, just stock up on a bunch of chocolate. Helped me with my girls." The man winks. "An' some extra blankets too."

Loid began to automatically nod. It had occurred to him that it was unlikely that the mission would continue on for more than a year or so. Eventually, the girls would have to go. And he wasn't sure how to feel about it.

"-but the girls are great. There isn't a thing I would change them for in the world." The man fondly finished speaking.

Loid wondered whether he would miss Anya. Or Kei. Or even sweet yet strong Yor. He wondered if he would miss them at all... once everything was over...

A/n: how the flippity flip did this book reach 1.1 k reads....?!?!?! i had such a shock just now staring at it.... well, anyways, i hope you're enjoying the book so far... this was kinda a short chapter ... not even much if a chapter really....