Chapter 15

Kei yawned as she boredly fidgeted in her seat. That led to Anya yawning too. And then Yor. It took all of Loid's self control to keep from yawning as well.

The spy stared ahead resolutely, his arms crossed as the elderly headmaster of Eden Academy —who, in Kei's opinion, looked an awful lot like a shriveled up walnut— blabbered on and on. The old guy had wrinkles in his wrinkles!

"You are the chosen few!" The old walnut dramatically croaked out, his voice raspy and frail. "Due to your hard work... blah blah blah."

Kei stopped listening after the first few words. She instead examined her surroundings with mild interest. It was a large auditorium filled with rows and rows and rows of seats curving in a half-moon around a stage at the center. Every open spot was filled, much to Kei's reluctant awe.

She jolted as the audience burst into polite claps. She absentmindedly joined in the applause. In the background, a choir began to sing. It was a bit ridiculous, honestly.

Loid carefully arranged his face to a mask of calm indifference. At long last. I'm finally through the door.

Anya glanced around the auditorium, looking wonderingly at all the people. "Papa! Everyone's wearing what I'm wearing!"

"That's how uniforms work, yes." Loid replied serenely. But the challenges have only just begun.

The spy's thoughts darted back to his handler's words. Are we clear, Agent Twilight? To enter Desmond's clique, the primary thing you must do... your daughters... must distinguish... Do not forget, Twilight —the future of East-West relations depends on your success.

Loid somberly thought to himself, his gaze lingering on the two girls. It wasn't going to be an easy task, certainly. After all, rising to the top of a school so full of exemplary students is probably a fool's errand. In any case...

They began reading aloud names. Compliantly, students were sorted into various classes.

Yor idly commented. "I wonder which one Kei and Anya will be assigned to."

Loid smiled. "Who knows?" His eyes narrowed slightly. I do, actually.

I managed to make a little change for the sake of the mission... I got them assigned to his class.

"Class 3, Cecil Hall... Alice Paulette.... Edward Perkshire... Damian Desmond." The wrinkly walnut droned out. Kei had a distinct feeling that he was bored too.

Even from this distance, the young girl could hear the boy's haughty thoughts. Hmph. They should have called my name first.

Kei immediately determined that she would despise him. He was just a stuck up brat...

Loid studied the boy confidently strutting up to his directed class. Damian, the second son of the Desmond family. He's joining his brother at Eden Academy this year. I've had my eye on him since I saw his name on the list of students taking the entrance exam.

If the imperial scholar plan proves too challenging, we go right on to plan B. What I call... the friendship scheme!

Anya, who, of course, had been eavesdropping, barely suppressed a gasp. Kei resisted the urge to crumple her face in disgust. Eww. I don't want to be friends with bratty boy.

Loid continued to outline a plan. (1) They get along well as classmates. (2) Damian invites Anya to his house to play (accompanied by her parents). (3) Direct contact with target achieved!

Kei snorted. How optimistic. She doubted that would actually happen.

Loid echoed her cynicism. It likely won't go quite so smoothly. But it's always best to work some alternate angles.