Excerpt #2

"A castle!" Anya gasped, her eyes gleaming eagerly. Kei stared at the stony wall, the pointy roofs, the marble lining, the millions of windows, and marveled at the sheer gaudiness of the place. It looked, to simply put, expensive.

Yor, who was still drunk, beamed.

Franky smirked in satisfaction.

Loid gazed ahead, steadfastly, refusing to look at any of them.

As soon as the massive doors were pulled open, Anya went rushing down the hall, shouting gleefully. "A real castle!!!"

Yor stumbled out a few words after the exuberant girl. "Isn't thith lovely!"

Kei sat on the smooth, cold floor, determined to sulk. Franky had taken her book away... And Kei wasn't happy in the slightest about it.

There was a strange hush over the place and the massive castle was eerily silent. Anya stood at the center, her expression falling all of a sudden.

Loid frowned. "What's wrong?"

Anya spoke tearfully, pointing at the empty ballroom. "There's no one here! It feels wrong."

She then stared down at her feet. "I don't think I can go to school now..."

"I know right?" Franky sighed dramatically, shaking his head.

Seeing no other choice Loid did what he could. "All agents stationed in Ostania, respond! Report to Newston Castle for an emergency operation!"

The next few seconds was a dizzying rush of sudden movement across the country of Ostania as all kinds of agents under cover flew across the land at startlingly —and quite impossible— rates. And to give you a better picture, imagine this; some random extra bicycling at a hundred miles per second, a businessman running out of a office in the middle of a super duper important meeting, cars swerving off the road and using sidewalks as "shortcuts", etc...

By the time Kei finished studying the marble floor of the castle, there was a crowd of people naturally chatting and mingling in the great hall. The pinkett stared at the ensemble in disbelief. It was as if they had appeared out of nowhere!

Anya gazed around in wonder. "Wow!"

Loid slumped, wiping sweat off his brow. Franky patted the spy's back smugly, "See? Just took a little help from your agency!"

Meanwhile, the agents were whispering about the man they called "Twilight" seeming rather awed. Kei wasn't sure why. She supposed Loid was a big deal...

That's Twilight?! A young man.

In the flesh! A lady with her hair done up in a bun.

Maybe I can get an autograph later? An old, dark haired man.

Anya approached her papa, mischief in her eyes. Loid sighed. "All right, now what?"

She thought aloud. "Let see..." She pointed at Loid. "You're the spy who saves me!" Then she pointed at Franky. "You're the League of Evil boss!" Kei shuddered... it was all beginning to sound familiar...

She turned to Kei, humming to herself. "And you're the ex-wizard-fairy-godmother- chosen one-dragon-shifter who makes Anya pretty dresses and turns annoying things like Anya's bad grade into little froggies and toadies and makes peanuts!!"

Kei blinked. Huh?

Loid sweated.

Franky startled.

A very drunk Yor twitched. "What about me?!"

Anya studied her mama for a moment. "And you're uh... I dunno whatever." She then dove behind a table, dragging along Kei who had miraculously changed into the ridiculous outfit she'd ever laid her eyes upon. If Kei had any less dignity, she would have been bawling by now.