SS: Horikita Suzune

The first day of school was different to any first day I've experienced.

I spotted a familiar face on the school bus: Kushida Kikyo. There were rumours in middle school about her. Rumours stated she destroyed her class from the inside, leaking information that was kept secret. Once that had happened, she was isolated in her class but happy as a war broke out. She'd be someone I'd need to be wary of.

——

I was in a convenience store, and a popular boy by the name of Kiyotaka Ayanokoji was beside me.

At first, I refused to give him my name. He just didn't deserve it. He was arrogant at most. Girls fawning over him every minute of the day. What's worse is that he was dating the girl I despised most: Kushida. Maybe he just didn't know of her true personality. That's something that I don't wish to put myself into so I ignored him.

A surprising question left his mouth which confused me.

'What do you think about the school?'

Undoubtedly, I was concerned with the rules and the 'S-System'. After all, what type of school would allow 100,000 yen to be given to each student as an allowance? It was never heard of before. I had my speculations but I didn't have any concrete evidence. Besides, I wouldn't have felt the need to share it with the rest of the class anyway. Their stupidity was far beyond what I could cope with.

He looked disappointed in my response, even telling me his disappointment. I was offended. But I soon came to realise the difference in our minds.

Three points he gave me.

Three points that all made sense when linking it to the school and its rules.

Three points that I hadn't even noticed.

It was annoying but I listened to each and every word of his speech, following him around.

He was by no means an idiot. It scared me slightly, knowing that he had observed all of this in the first few hours of school. I doubt my brother could accomplish what he did in such a short amount of time.

He proved his superiority, when I gave him my name whilst being flustered and embarrassed.

It made me wonder: What was he hiding?

——

During the lesson, no one paid attention and talked above the teachers yet, they seemed to not care and did not do anything. It was confusing, to say the least. I still studied diligently, not allowing myself to succumb to that of the idiots in my class.

In the last week of the first month, a surprise test was sprouted on us.

It was child's play, every question was relatively easy. Up until the last three questions of math. I could only wrap my head around one of them. The other one I was at a complete loss. What annoyed me more was that Ayanokoji had finished the test in half an hour.

After the time ran out, he blatantly said that he would score full marks. For some reason, I didn't doubt him. Although the last questions for far beyond what I could accomplish, I held a thought that he would pass the test with full marks.

Then came the first of May.

No points were deposited into our account as I suspected. In so, I only used 15,000 points thankfully.

The class was baffled.

We were called defects.

The worst of the bunch.

Why was I, Horikita Suzune, a defect? I aced both the academics and physical entrance exams whilst also perfecting my interview. So why was I placed in Class D?

It confused me all too much.

Then came the test scores from the surprise test we were given a week ago.

My eyes instantly darted to the top.

There it was.

'Ayanokoji Kiyotaka: 100'

It was as he said, he perfected the paper like it was nothing to him.

So that made me wonder: Why was HE placed in this class?

Another announcement was made right after that.

'You should congratulate Vice President Ayanokoji Kiyotaka for getting on the Student Council.'

He gained recognition from my brother. Something that I hadn't managed in years. Yet he has done so with such ease.

——

Last night was a mess.

My brother was belittling me, telling me that I should never have come to this school.

He was embarrassed by the fact that I was in Class D.

He was going to hit me after pushing me against the wall.

I braced for the impact but it never came.

Instead, a familiar face appeared, catching his hand.

It was him again.

Ayanokoji Kiyotaka.

He gave me advice and called me a friend after facing my older brother in a one-on-one battle; parrying all of his blows.

A friend.

I bowed to him.

I requested his help.

I was ashamed of myself.

Yet...

I'm so determined to change.

To change into someone fitting to become a strong leader.

People can change, right?