FIFTH

(A/N : the parts in italics are Kaya's dream)

The sun hung low in the sky, casting a golden hue over the small park. I remember this park. As a kid, I used to play here. A little boy with tousled, dark brown hair and honey-brown eyes was standing in front of a child version of me. Wearing a cute little flower dress and a coconut tree hairstyle.  

"Kaya," he began, "do you promise that no matter what happens, we'll always be friends?"

Little me nodded vigorously, her bright eyes sparkling with sincerity. "Of course, *****! Forever and ever, no matter what." she said, removing a little gold ring from her finger and giving it to the little boy.

They sealed their pact with a pinky promise, their little fingers interlocking, sealing it with a thumb kiss.

 I slowly squinted my eyes open and met with a blinding white light that blighted through my consciousness. The artificial smell of floor cleanser with bitter undertones. I panicked, remembering what had happened. My body felt strangely weightless, and as I attempted to move, I realized I was holding someone's hand. 

Long fingers intertwined with mine. Big, firm hand that felt warm. I looked up. It was Rihan.I immediately let go of his hand. "I'm sorry"

I started looking around. Anywhere but his face. why was I holding his hand?

 White room. Not much furniture. White curtains. I got up from the bed, my feet touching the cold hard floor. Losing my balance as I took a step forward. 

"Careful," Rihan held onto my arm, his grip reassuring as he kept me stable.

"Sit down and rest," he ordered with a teasing smile.

He had a pretty smile.

"Rihan," I croaked, my voice barely above a whisper, "What... What happened? Where am I?"

"Somewhere safe," he replied mysteriously.

"What time is it?"

He checked his watch and said, "Half past nine."

"Shoot! I need to be home. Mum will kill me."

"Don't worry, that's been taken care of," he stated confidently.

"How? Why? What? Explain," I burst out with curiosity.

"Why did you agree to Teacher... I mean Dev's request?" he asked, raising an eyebrow and looking at me.

"It was a condition. How else would I have helped Shweta?" I murmured.

"I've taken care of it."

"Seriously?" I couldn't contain my excitement and reached out to hold his hands.

He looked away, his cheeks slightly flushed, and muttered, "Yeah."

"THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOUUUU!" I was so thrilled that I almost lunged forward to hug him but stopped myself just in time. Shoot!