FIFTEENTH

Dangling our feet with ice cream slightly melted in our hands, we sat on the edge of our building rooftop. The view was nothing new, something I had seen hundreds of times growing up. The view of our society, adjacent to it, was a busy road filled with street vendors and vehicle drivers. Peace was never an option in my locality. My eyes, busy examining people accomplishing their day-to-day shifts.

"Where are you these days?" Shweta voiced, interrupting my vision with the palm.

"Huh?"

"huh? What? Were you even paying attention?" Shweta had a disappointed expression. "don't pick up calls, don't visit me, I'm your neighbour, still, I barely see you?"

"A little busy with college and its activities."

"YOU did it before as well but you had college before too and what's new now?"

"She got herself a boy" I could hear the annoying voice of Shweta's brother following closely "Behind, oh god no, not that devil Sidharth. He was Shweta and Shivam's (Shweta's brother) childhood friend. Funny how all their names start with 'S'. Trust me, if annoying was a person, it would be Sidharth. I mean, I can tolerate Dev only because I'm used to Sidharth. It's a good thing he doesn't live here. His parents sent him to Matheran, to a strict boarding school.

still, I see no signs of improvement.

"Hello Kaya, long time no see.Did you miss me?"Sidharth greeted me with an annoying smirk plastered on his face. "Now that you are here, the only thing I miss is my peace" A smile spread on my lips that didn't reach my eyes.

"You two stop, Shivam what was it about Kaya getting a boy?"

"Boy whoo? no boy" I made a cross sign with my hands.

"Lying again I see" Shivam put his hand on my head and I sent a glare towards him, "Hey, I am not" I pouted.

"Sach hi bol rahi hogi, isski shakal dekh ke ladke bhaag jaate, girlfriend banana dur ki baat"(She must be telling the truth, guys are scared of her, how will anyone make her his girlfriend ) Shidharth commented.

"EHH tere see aachi dikhti" (at least I look better than you) I rebutted.

"Your birthday is coming soon, right? I'll gift you a mirror"If only Sidharth would learn how to shut up. I opned my mouth when Shweta stopped me turning my attention towards her. "Bro you tell us about your boyfriend, Kaya iss Shidharth ko chod(Leave Sidharth)"

"Yarr nahi haii hai"(I don't have a boyfriend)

"Nysa was talking about it during tuitions. You both are going on a double date? I heard" Shivam finally spoke.

"What? Kaya when were you going to tell me." Shweta looked at me with puppy eyes, oh my she had the puppiest face ever. What am I supposed to say? Tere liye khud ki baali chada di?(for her I decided to sacrifice myself?)haha NO. Well, it wasn't her fault entirely I was the one who suggested we try the whole Ouija board shit. But I was happy that Shweta was safe and protected from that spirit that got attached to her.

Right now she was killing me with her puppy eyes. Mannn, What should I tell them? I swear to god I am going to kill Nysa when I meet her. Why? oh Why did she go around publicizing it?

I saw three pairs of eyes scanning me, searching for answers. My phone rang, displaying Dev's name - the only time I'd be happy when he called. I excused myself and walked away, "Hello" I could hear his deep voice from the other end of the phone. I greeted him back, the conversation was short but he said he wanted me to go on a mission with him. Okay, so that means I can get out of here.

Once the call ended, I walked back to them, "I have some important work, so byee " declaring that I turned around on my heels and was about to leave.

"Jaa Jaa ab boyfriend tho mil gaya dosto ki thodi yaad aayegi.(Go Go now you have a boyfriend you won't need us.)" Like can I punch Sidharth? I wish.

"I was spending quality time with Shweta when you guys decided to disturb us." I didn't wait around, I took steady steps and walked away because I knew that if I stayed, I would be interrogated by them and eventually be late. This would result in me getting reprimanded by Dev for not being punctual

"Kaya, today let's watch Aahat like old times. Don't forget 9 pm sharp," I heard Shwetha yell from behind. I turned around, gave her a thumbs up, and then waved bye to the others before leaving.

*****

When I reached the organization, my body was already drenched in sweat, and I struggled to catch my breath in ragged gasps. Dev stood there, arms crossed, leaning against the wall. In his hands, he held a black cloth tightly. Without warning, he flung it straight at my face. Instinctively, I raised my arms to shield myself from the impact. "You've got good reflexes...get changed," he said, a smirk playing on his lips. I couldn't help but notice how attractive he was, making me hesitate to retaliate. After all, what if I accidentally bruised his face? That wouldn't be ideal, right? Shaking myself out of my thoughts, I heard Dev's voice snap me back to reality. Feeling embarrassed, I nodded and hurried into the building.

Inside, I located the changing room and hastily got dressed in the outfit Dev had given me. The body-hugging bodysuit, made of a thicker material that felt akin to nylon, was surprisingly comfortable to wear. Its flexibility allowed for easy movement, and it soothingly embraced my skin. The suit covered the majority of my body, leaving only a small amount of skin exposed. I gathered my hair into a tight top knot, securing it with a rubber band. Additionally, Dev gave me a set of belts to help carry objects. I draped a long belt across my torso and cinched another one around my waist. Wearing this ensemble made me feel undeniably cool as if I had stepped into a scene from a thrilling detective movie.

I walked out of the changing room to find Dev waiting for me. He was dressed in a similar outfit as mine and looked extremely good with the outfit accentuating his well-built body and his hair in a man bun, I mean I think guys should have long hair, they look so cool with it. I sighed. Only if people understood. Dev told me to follow him and took me to a room situated on the 2nd floor. I had never seen this room before. That made me realize how much of this huge organization was unexplored like the day I found that sleeping girl. I wanted to ask someone about it, but Rihan had asked me not to let a single soul find out about my findings. Unfair. He refused to tell me the when, why, and how of this entire ordeal. Also, Nyasa was no help, but the way she warned me, I bet she knew something about the entity. Her stomach can't digest one secret, but she has to hide it from me. Unfair. Unfair... How am I supposed to calm the monster called my mind? The room that we entered was filled with different types of arms and ammunition. If the military found out about it, wouldn't these people be under fire? More than a secret ghost-hunting organization, it looks like a secret spy base. Damn, those huge guns look thick.

Dev handed me a set of pocket knives. I fastened it around my left leg, and I put a pair of daggers in my waist belt. "Look, Kaya," Dev brought my attention to him. "I have taught you this before, but I'll explain it again. Make the weapon an extension of yourself, extend your aura around the weapon and use it. A normal weapon won't hurt the entity, but your aura will." He paused, scanning my face to make sure I was listening. "These weapons are not normal; they are charged with incantations," he explained, pausing to scan my face and ensure I was listening. It made me realize how powerful words were. Every word that leaves my mouth carries a part of my energy that can bless or curse someone. And the chanting of mantras was a very powerful way to channel the power of my words. My heart was pumping hard. This was an important mission, one where I'd be able to fight and act cool.

He also handed me some talismans, their surfaces etched with ancient scriptures, a small vial of salt water that emitted a faint briny scent, and a collection of intricately designed amulets that I fastened around my neck for added protection. Dev's intense gaze locked onto me, his jaw clenched tightly. "This mission is of utmost importance, and it carries great danger. Do not underestimate it," he warned sternly. My heart raced as I comprehended the gravity of the situation, yet an undeniable surge of excitement coursed through me. This was the moment I had been eagerly anticipating.

___________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Hellow how are ya'll? I hope everyone is well. I am sad to announce that I will be taking a break from writing for a while. My exams will be starting soon. I'll most probably be back by 15th April or so. Please wait for me I promise I'll be back in no time. Till then you can check my Instagram talesbyjelliey where I post edits related to my stories. And don't forget to vote, share and comment on my story. I would really really appreciate it

LOVE ELLIE~