Chapter Eight

(Dawn's POV)

After we had all finished dinner for the evening, I helped dad with the dishes so that mom could get Henry ready for bed and then get ready herself. I knew she was tired and on top of being tired, I knew for a fact that she was worried about Nora.

"What's running through that mind of yours, Danny." I smiled when dad used my nickname. Nora had given it to me when we started middle school. She had told me that Dawn was just too girly.

"I'm worried about Nora, honestly. I can't imagine what it was like to sit front and center to your and Aunt Iris's breakup. I know she was upset about everything already, but to actually see it all..it's a completely different story." I sighed softly, throwing the dish towel over my shoulder as I turned to face him.

"Sweet pea," he pulled me in for a hug. I grimaced when I felt the back of my shirt get wet from the dishwater on his hands. I didn't pull away though. "When your mother and I called her earlier she explained that she understood why we broke up and that it was okay. She even apologized for freaking out on us."

"I'm still worried." I said softly, pressing my face into his chest. "She's my little sister. I am always going to worry about her, no matter what."

"That's okay, it's always okay to worry about the people you love. Just don't overwhelm her with it, okay? She gets enough of that from mom." He joked, pulling back to look down at me. From upstairs I heard mom scream 'Hey!'.

"I'll try my best not to. I appreciate you talking with me. Thank you." I took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Is it okay if I go out for a bit?"

"You're not planning on doing anything illegal are you? Mick and Len are out of town right now, there isn't anyone around to break you out of jail." I laughed, shaking my head.

"No, nothing illegal." I assured him, smiling. I bit my lip, looking away.

"You don't want to tell me." He nodded, pretending to stroke the beard he didn't have. "You need to be home by breakfast tomorrow if you plan on staying out all night. Text me so I know you're safe, okay?"

"Thanks dad!" I hugged him again before using my speed to run up the stairs and change. I ran back down the stairs quickly, taking off toward the front door. "I'll try to be home by midnight, but don't count on it."

"We won't be up waiting, trust me. Be safe, Danny. Love you." I lifted my hand to show him the ring that held my suit sitting perfectly on my finger and he nodded his head.

"I always am. Love you, dad!" I ran out the door and down the street. A few blocks away from my destination, I stopped so I could walk the rest of the way. I didn't want to wake the neighbors. I had lost my nerve the second I stopped in front of the right house so I pulled my phone from my pocket and took a seat on the curb.

Dawn//7:18pm: Nor?

Nora//7:18pm: Yes, Danny?

Dawn//7:19pm: I asked dad if I could go out for a bit but now that I am where I wanted to go, I'm not so sure it was the right idea.