An Unearthing of Goddesses Part 2

Kate Molinari had been having a day. And the lesson of it – always buy soft shell tacos. She contemplated her life as she limped along the Seattle city street on her way home. She felt deflated, her hopes for her life at age 24 already as broken as her high heel pump she held in one hand...

Her new job wasn't turning out to be so ideal, once she had been there long enough to figure out the inside politics. She had been chosen to preside over the monthly staff meeting that morning, and had managed to spill coffee on both herself and the CEO. She stumbled over the analytics from their social media campaign, which she had carefully memorized. She fumbled while speaking up about a branding idea that she had practiced proposing all evening.

After staying late to finish a report of email campaign results, she had stopped at her favorite Mexican take-out place for her go-to comfort food – tacos. She spontaneously bought a bouquet of flowers from a street vendor. Daisies – her favorite. Then, she had tripped on an uneven pavement stone on the historic street, having neglected to change into her commuter sneakers that morning. She had dressed up in her best suit for the presentation and hated to spoil her ensemble, especially as twice now she had sat on the light rail near the same cute guy, who always looked dashing and had made brief eye contact, an exceptionally rare commuter occurrence.

Her fall on the pavement had not been brief – it had been a slow motion, windmill-handed face plant but she had recovered quickly, picking up her wounded bouquet and her tacos, which she now regretted were not soft shell. She took one step before realizing her shoe was broken. Head high, she limped down the street with the broken shoe and flowers in one hand and the broken dinner in the other, her mood just as crushed as the taco shells. Then her phone rang.

"Shit, shit, shit." She dropped the bag and started rummaging. She hoped it wasn't work calling. The name of her roommate came up – Amanda. What was she calling for? She slid her finger to answer.

"Yo. What's up?" A delay in timing. 

"Oh – I didn't expect you to answer. I should have just texted." Amanda's voice was high and seemed anxious. "I guess I'll just tell you – you have to move out. Brad is moving in. I wanted to wait until next month, but his roommate situation is unnnn-bearable. You're not on the lease, so we were just temporary anyway. You understand. If I could have given you more time I would have, but like I said it was just un –"

"Bearable. Got it. No problem Amanda. Give me one week." She hung up and dropped the phone in her bag. Unbelievable. Yet not entirely surprising. Amanda always had been an unreliable, self-centered friend, if friend she could be called. She had moved in with her purely out of necessity.

Shit. Brad. That douche. Whatever, she didn't need that dark basement apartment anyway. But how was she going to find something so soon?

No sooner had she set out again did her phone ping from her purse. But it wasn't her ping for messages or her ping for voicemail. This unknown ping was more insistent and sounded rather like a chirp from a happy cricket. It sounded twice more. Intrigued, she again dropped her purse and dug it out. A pop-up ad displayed across her screen. What the – when did these start happening? She was going to have to visit the phone kiosk at the mall. She could go tonight and get some new shoes... she swiped over the ad to close it and it popped up again. Annoyed, she went to swipe again, then saw the words.

Looking for sunshine and ambrosia? Idyllic apartment available immediately. Spacious bedroom, private bath, walk-in closet, sixty inch TV, bacchanalian jacuzzi tub, gourmet kitchen with epicurean extras, king-sized bed, in-room fireplace, light-filled bay window with fruit trees and private patio. Parking space. Reasonable rent. There was a link to click.